Why become a member? ×

Powered Cab Advice or Options

tayste_2000

I'm looking for a powered PA cab for bass, for use with my modeling rig, also generally PA cabs are lighter than similarly powered combos and have all those handy handles all over them.

My requirements
500+ watts
Pull out handle
Tilt back wheels
Sub 25kgs (ideally sub 15kgs)
1x12 or 1x15
Hardwearing enough that I can just lug it everywhere like walk a mile dragging it on its wheels
Neutral or bass heavy sounding

So options?

Gimme a chance chap - interestingly I find myself with a similar dilemma and am hoping to share some of my findings. I've a Matrix power amplifier which is superb and have been thinking of ways to strap it to a 'monitor' style cabinet for a while. I guess I need to ask Matrix if their 'FRFR' cabinets are suitable for bass! (With a view to modelling both guitar and bass depending on gig)

Have you seen the thread I started about using PA gear- the guys with a bit of knowledge chimed in with some suggestions.

When I was looking at it I kept seeing the cheaper LD systems Stinger stuff at good prices - I think two of the 15inch ones were £500, they had Kappalite 3015HO in them - I had half a plan to use one and meanwhile remake the other one as a bass cab with a lower response using the charts on Eminence's website...

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1392928948' post='2374434']
Have you seen the thread I started about using PA gear- the guys with a bit of knowledge chimed in with some suggestions.

When I was looking at it I kept seeing the cheaper LD systems Stinger stuff at good prices - I think two of the 15inch ones were £500, they had Kappalite 3015HO in them - I had half a plan to use one and meanwhile remake the other one as a bass cab with a lower response using the charts on Eminence's website...
[/quote]

Hmm! Interesting! I was also thinking about a Greenboy Fearful/Fearless type build adjusted to house a power amp module or have a 'head case' type design so that an amp head could be fixed.

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1392931549' post='2374498']
Hmm! Interesting! I was also thinking about a Greenboy Fearful/Fearless type build adjusted to house a power amp module or have a 'head case' type design so that an amp head could be fixed.
[/quote] was it you that had used a wee class D module in a cab in the past? I thought it was.
I was thinking about a Fearful 12/6/1 build, RichardD has some super light 12mm ply and it was all great till I costed it up. Decided to pay less and get more weight with a secondhand ACME B2
I think the ultimate would be a Powersoft Digimod 500 with DSP into a high end bass cab and then programme the DSP to get the most out of it. But I think that's just one of Jim Bergantino's IP range, which is what I would like to have had...

The Roland D-Bass range is also interesting and ticked enough of the boxes for me to try out. I ultimately am moving it on as it doesn't fit in the back of the car with the castors on and I don't like the amp modelling. A pod into the effects return and it would be quite a versatile DSP equipped little amp.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1392933727' post='2374532']
was it you that had used a wee class D module in a cab in the past? I thought it was.
I was thinking about a Fearful 12/6/1 build, RichardD has some super light 12mm ply and it was all great till I costed it up. Decided to pay less and get more weight with a secondhand ACME B2
I think the ultimate would be a Powersoft Digimod 500 with DSP into a high end bass cab and then programme the DSP to get the most out of it. But I think that's just one of Jim Bergantino's IP range, which is what I would like to have had...
[/quote]

Yes it was! I had a BK Electronics D Class module - 600W that I sold on to a fellow basschatter who as far as I know is still using it now!

I've had a response back from Matrix and they've been really helpful. They suggested that the FRFR 2x12 cab they have on offer at the moment has a roll off of 55hz so could 'do' bass - certainly four string, but they are possibly looking at a bass guitar solution in 2x10 or 1x15" format. There's nothing available specifically at the moment though so the options are limited.

My driver for this is actually wanting a FRFR solution that can do everything from PA to guitar to Bass in one lightweight powerful box. The only downside is that such a solution comes at great cost. So the idea stays in my head for a bit longer lol!

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1392934298' post='2374547']
The Roland D-Bass range is also interesting and ticked enough of the boxes for me to try out. I ultimately am moving it on as it doesn't fit in the back of the car with the castors on and I don't like the amp modelling. A pod into the effects return and it would be quite a versatile DSP equipped little amp.
[/quote]

Hmm! interesting! - I played a gig through a Roland keyboard amp once and was really surprised at how incredibly full it sounded. Ok, we weren't a loud band but this little box that looked like it was possible an 80's model (??) sounded superb!