Why become a member? ×

how can i wire this in to my bass

0175westwood29

have a squier vm 5 string bass, love it but looking to change a bit of the electrics to make my life a tad easier.

does anyone know how i could wire this in, basically looking to add a small switch that will disable the volume pots and just put the pickups straight to the output so basically the same as turning everything up to 10.

andy

it won't be the same as turning everything up to 10 as it will effect the pickup loading too (i.e. the pots still have an effect fully open)
I can't think of the name at the moment but you'll want a switch that switches it across at both the input and output(jack) points.

the next question you'll ask is about the second switch for having the pups in series or parallel.... :D

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1392934610' post='2374555']
it won't be the same as turning everything up to 10 as it will effect the pickup loading too (i.e. the pots still have an effect fully open)
I can't think of the name at the moment but you'll want a switch that switches it across at both the input and output(jack) points.

the next question you'll ask is about the second switch for having the pups in series or parallel.... :D
[/quote]

oh no nothing fancy like that lol, im actually seeing a tech tomoz so i think i might ask him if he has any ideas

• 2 weeks later...

VM Jazz bass or Precision? With the precision it is a piece of piss as you only have the one pickup so you can wire it round the controls but with the jazz, do you want both the pickups on flat out both of the time?
That is a bit harder as you would actually need 3 poles to do that completely, one pole for each pickup and one for the output jack, and switches to do this are less common. However, I see Maplin have a 4 pole switch, and I am sure others do too.

Cool its the jazz in my sig

Ah cool so doing that would put everthing to 10, i have one more could i have the tone active? Dnt mind putting another switch in for that.

So ill have all the pickups on full and the tone or both pickups on full with tone control that i can use, or have control of the pickup but have a dimed tone control?

That circuit gives you a complete control bypass, everything flat out to the output.

If you want the tone control as well you have to bear in mind the tone control will not have the same effect as it does with the volume, as the filtering will then be affected more by the input impedance of your amp and your cable, so harder to predict, you can take the last section (the blue wires), and connect them between the volume output and the tone input (removing the wire there) and add back the wire from tone to output.

However, I really wouldn't recommend this and frankly, don't really understand why you would want to do this, but then I never use the tone control on the bass (except the SR1000, which is active).

Edited by Woodinblack

Like this then. Note that

a) I have left the original wiring as dotted outlines
b ) I did this one on an iPad in an app I have had 3 years and hadn't used before
c) I added colour
d) its a bit better than the last one!
e) I wouldn't wire a bass like this, makes it too unpredictable

[url="http://s405.photobucket.com/user/alienrat/media/Jazz3_zps04dabec9.png.html"][/url]

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1393763520' post='2384051']
Like this then. Note that

a) I have left the original wiring as dotted outlines
b ) I did this one on an iPad in an app I have had 3 years and hadn't used before
c) I added colour
d) its a bit better than the last one!
e) I wouldn't wire a bass like this, makes it too unpredictable

[url="http://s405.photobucket.com/user/alienrat/media/Jazz3_zps04dabec9.png.html"][/url]
[/quote]

cheers man yeh might just stick to the first diagram, nice idea but as you say not really practical

andy