Why become a member? ×

Bass Techs In North Somerset?

wishface

[quote name='wishface' timestamp='1393013190' post='2375358']
It's made by a company called Revelation. I have never heard of them. Model number is RBJ67 (presumably that's the model number). It's a jazz style bass; 2 single coil pickups, don't know what make they are, sounds decent to my ears. Varnished neck, very smooth, no resistance playing. Thick body. Neck is about 20 frets. Don't know what strings they are but they are new and sound nice as well. D'addarios I think.

He seems like a decent guy to me. Whether he's any good at setting up instruments I don't know. Where he gets his stock and what quality, in general, they are, again I don't know. I can only hope, for the sake of £165, he is! :D
[/quote]

I tried one of those but think it was a Precision bass. There were a couple of them and I didn't try it through an amp. The one I played felt like a nice bass although I would worry about the quality of the electrics for that price. Take him up on his offer and take it back so that he can sort it for you.

[quote name='wishface' timestamp='1393146482' post='2376540']
are both pickups meant to be exactly the same height off the body?
[/quote]
How are you finding your bass Wishface? The Revaluation bass I tried nicely but I have never plugged one in.

The fingerboard is excellent. The action seems higher than it plays, though it could stand to be lowered, particularly over the neck pickup to make faster plucking a little easier. That's just me. I play with the guitar higher than I'd like because i can't comfortably play lower as it inhibits movement.

The neck is a little wider than would be my preference but doesn't seem to inhibit movement.

The sound is decent IMO, I see no reason whyit should n't hold its own in a 'pro' situation, though I think the bridge pickup isn't as punchy as a 'real' jazz bass.

Neck dive is an issue and it doesn't sit on your lap very comfortably without a strap as it has a tendency to slide off the leg. The body is quite thick but it doesn't feel as heavy as it looks.

Hmm everything that you said backs up my initial impressions that the Revelation was a good bass for the price. It felt substantial and well put together. The one I was looking at even had nice neck grain.

I get the impression that your pretty new to bass playing (if not apologies :) ).

I'm pretty new myself and have only been playing a couple of years. My experience was that my preferred neck profile and how I stood and played changed over time. Initially I hated fatter profile and wider necks but now quite like them as they allow me fro dig in and play cleanly. Having said that I am now back with slim necks and tighter string spacing strings.
Neck dive is more an issue when standing up and recently I changed my whole playing position. I used to wear the bass quite high and hold it horizontally. Now use a longer strap so that the body is lower and hold the neck higher.
What I'm saying is that your anything like me you will probably change your preferences a number of times before settling.

Edited by Pinball

[quote name='wishface' timestamp='1393352771' post='2379215']
Not new to playing, just never had the money to own expenseive/name instruments or spent a lot of time in bands.
[/quote]
Cool, well despite the impression you sometimes get on here you don't need to spend a lot to have fun