Why become a member? ×

Active or Passive? That is the question!

Grangur

Hi there Fat-stringers,

I've an LTD ESP fretless 5 string. It's got the most gorgeous neck, it plays like a dream with harmonics on all fret(lines) etc....

But it's not loud. It has a pre-amp. To get some sort of output something like that from my other basses I have to turn the 3 eq knobs up full, destroying the point of a the eq if you ask me.

I've connected one of the pups straight to a jack and the output was ok-ish, but nothing amazing.

On another bass I have a Kent Armstrong MM style pup. It's passive, it growls and punches like a good'n.

I'm tempted to rip out the ESP pups and pre-amp on the LTD and put in a pair of [url="http://www.wdmusic.co.uk/soapbar-bass-pu-4-or-5-string-bridge-1226-p.asp"]Kent Armstrong soapbars[/url], go completely passive. This could give me the problem of what to do with some holes, there are 5 right now.

I could go Vol, tone, vol, tone, selctor switch, or something like(?)

What say you? What would you do?

Cheers

Rich

You don't say what amp you are using. Turning up the onboard EQ isn't the answer if it's just increasing signal strength you are after.

The obvious leveller for different basses is the amp input gain. Use that to balance the input into the power amp and then use the onboard and outboard EQ to alter tone.

That's what I'd do anyway and I have both passive and active basses and they are to me different not better or worserer :)

Peter