Why become a member? ×

On The Etiquette Of Forgery

Happy Jack

The Junkyard Dogs played a gig on Friday and received £200 (introductory rate), in the form of 2 x £50 notes and the balance in £20 and £10 notes.

One of the £50 notes has now been discovered to be a forgery, the other was fine. There is no particular reason to think that the pub knew about this.

As a band, we have joked about this situation several times but I don't think we seriously expected it to happen.

We can't be the first to arrive here ... what normally happens next?

My only experience with forgeries has been the odd dodgy pound coin. I tend to just be a bit naughty and use it amongst other change to pay for a pack of cigarettes or bus fare. I don't know if I'd risk it with a £50 note, but my thinking is that if you contacted the venue about it they'd be likely to say they had no idea, and it was your responsibility to check the money yourself before leaving.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1393338204' post='2378905']
The Junkyard Dogs played a gig on Friday and received £200 (introductory rate), in the form of 2 x £50 notes and the balance in £20 and £10 notes.

One of the £50 notes has now been discovered to be a forgery, the other was fine. There is no particular reason to think that the pub knew about this.

As a band, we have joked about this situation several times but I don't think we seriously expected it to happen.

We can't be the first to arrive here ... what normally happens next?
[/quote]

Depends on whether you want to permanently lose the gig. It's a fair wedge to chalk up to experience, but you know for sure they passed on forged money, which is a criminal offence blah de blah, old bill, might not be the first time,

I've lost a £5 in a pub the same way, once got given half a tenner in my change at a service station. I photocopied another one, taped the two halves together & spent it back at the same place the week after. They must have known what they'd done, so the guy got a knowing ;) as I pocketed the change.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1393338432' post='2378914']
Yes, but not really what I meant!

Should we challenge the pub? On what grounds?

Should we re-split the remaining £150 four ways and just get over it?
[/quote]

Go into the pub and buy a half of lager with the £50 note. Then walk out with the change.

Difficult one. If you can prove the £50 came from the pub then you could confront them because, even unknowingly, they have not fulfilled their part of your contract, i.e. they've only actually paid you £150.

If they just deny it - and they're hardly likely to admit a criminal offence are they - then I can't see what you can do other than Big_Stu's suggestion about telling them you're going to the police about it.

I'm a bit surprised they took it in the first place though. On the very few occasions that I've tried to spend a £50 note anywhere, I've been viewed with great suspicion and all manner of UV lamps and special pens have been deployed to verify its authenticity before accepting it - and even then only begrudgingly. They are almost as bad as Scottish notes!

Would think it tough luck, you've been had (knowingly or unknowingly by the pub), split the remaining 150 & move on. I would be tempted to put it in writing in any contract or verbally with landlord/promoter that you wont accept £50 notes as payment in future. You have legitimate reason now, sadly.
Cheers,
Norm.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1393340222' post='2378957']
Difficult one. If you can prove the £50 came from the pub then you could confront them because, even unknowingly, they have not fulfilled their part of your contract, i.e. they've only actually paid you £150.

If they just deny it - and they're hardly likely to admit a criminal offence are they - then I can't see what you can do other than Big_Stu's suggestion about telling them you're going to the police about it.

I'm a bit surprised they took it in the first place though. On the very few occasions that I've tried to spend a £50 note anywhere, I've been viewed with great suspicion and all manner of UV lamps and special pens have been deployed to verify its authenticity before accepting it - and even then only begrudgingly. They are almost as bad as Scottish notes!
[/quote]

'I think you'll find pal, that's legal tenderrrrr!'

http://youtu.be/gx-a5rYIAOM

Go back in and explain the situation. If the worst comes to the worst they'll deny it was theirs and you'll know never to play there again. If they're a typical pub they should have all of their staff checking notes of such high denomination using the usual marker pens and scanners, and the fact you've been given it means either someone's made a bollocks of it or they're passing the forgery off on you - but at least you'll know for sure if you go back to them. If they won't accept it then I'd take it to the cops and tell them where you got if from.

Edited by HowieBass

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1393343225' post='2379012']
Go back in and explain the situation. If the worst comes to the worst they'll deny it was theirs and you'll know never to play there again. If they're a typical pub they should have all of their staff checking notes of such high denomination using the usual marker pens and scanners, and the fact you've been given it means either someone's made a bollocks of it or they're passing the forgery off on you - but at least you'll know for sure if you go back to them. If they won't accept it then I'd take it to the cops and tell them where you got if from.
[/quote]

+1 for this ^.

I work in Northern Ireland sometimes - try spending an Ulster Bank £20 in England and see the responses people give. Myusualy line is "its fine, I gave the ink plenty of time to dry".

As for the forged £50, well probably tape it to the back of an amp as a reminder for ever more, and never accept a £50 again. Split the rest between you. You'll never get rid of a fake £50 as most places won't even take them.

Cheer,
Rich

You could try contacting them and let them know they gave you a fake one and that they might need to check the incoming notes and you are happy to take it into them to review if their checking regime is working with a fake note. They might make the effort to replace, or alternatively, you have both been fooled ask them if they will go halves so you are equally out of pocket.

Not worth losing a good venue over and going in guns ablazing could easily escalate to that.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1393340222' post='2378957'].I'm a bit surprised they took it in the first place though. On the very few occasions that I've tried to spend a £50 note anywhere, I've been viewed with great suspicion and all manner of UV lamps and special pens have been deployed to verify its authenticity before accepting it - and even then only begrudgingly. They are almost as bad as Scottish notes![/quote]

That was I was trying to infer too, but I haven't the nerve to come right out with it. :lol: There's not a pub landlord in the land that'll swallow the loss of £50, without trying to make it someone else's loss.

The Scottish notes thing, yeah I get that every time I come back after a visit, so I just make a present of my "foreign currency" to my son before I go.

Yes, contact the police, as the venue are more than likely unawares, but may now be getting targeted as a result of accepting this one. The police may help, may not, but it should be reported.

The downside of £50 notes is not many people see them, so aren`t that good at spotting fakes. Pens/UV lights are all mainly rubbish at detecting them - eyesight and touch is how you determine (or should) a counterfeit note.

[quote name='Dropzone' timestamp='1393344101' post='2379026']
You could try contacting them and let them know they gave you a fake one and that they might need to check the incoming notes and you are happy to take it into them to review if their checking regime is working with a fake note. They might make the effort to replace, or alternatively, you have both been fooled ask them if they will go halves so you are equally out of pocket.

Not worth losing a good venue over and going in guns ablazing could easily escalate to that.
[/quote]

This is what I would do. Approach it as if they were innocent (and they could well be) and that your'e doing them a favour by telling them. If they were innocent then they will appreciate the warning that they've been had. If they did it deliberately then, even if they deny it, they will know that you won't fall for it again.

Yep go back and explain , it will help them and they maybe good about it , if not you've lost nothing

Police won't be of any help , no point (unless the pub are taking lots of them ) as it's most likely just a stray one

One thing if definately not do though is try to pass it on

All those BCers with a mattress full of £50s should check them carefully because the 'Houblon' fifty is being withdrawn at the end of April.

I was just looking for official advice about forgeries and came across that news in a Bank of England FAQ here: http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/banknotes/pages/about/faqs.aspx

A further search revealed that this was all over the news last month, though I didn't notice it at the time.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-25758063

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1393366257' post='2379508']
Unfortunately, I know the pub in question, and this is not the first time this has happened. I shall say no more.
[/quote]

In that case, the police should definitely be informed of the facts, I should think.