Why become a member? ×

On The Etiquette Of Forgery

Happy Jack

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1393507792' post='2381145']
Close ... but no cigar.

The ink on a genuine £50 note never dries completely.

If you rub one with a piece of white tissue paper, it's [i][b]supposed [/b][/i]to stain!
[/quote]
[quote name='iconic' timestamp='1393652567' post='2382996']
correct
[/quote]
I sit corrected :rolleyes: I couldn't remember which way round it was :lol:

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1393655984' post='2382999']
You must play some real posh areas if the easiest ready cash for the landlord to grab from the till is 4 £50 notes.

[/quote]

Bwahahaha!!! The areas we are most frequently paid with £50 notes are those where there's the greatest need for money laundering.

In posh areas, people buy their Pinot Grigio with credit cards, dontcherknow.

The place that has given us by far the most £50 notes was a big, empty Irish pub in a large, well-known Irish area of London. There was never any possible legal explanation for why a pub which never had more than a dozen punters in it could possibly have five shiny new £50 notes in the till every Saturday night ...

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1393669655' post='2383087']
Can't you buy detection pens and a uv light? Keep it in the cable bag type thing
[/quote]

If the criminals have done it all thoroughly neither will detect a counterfeit note, unfortunately.

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1393427808' post='2380168']
"It is a criminal offence to keep or pass on a note you know to be counterfeit. If you think a note looks dodgy you should hand it to the police."

[url="http://www.theguardian.com/money/2013/oct/19/how-spot-fake-banknote"]http://www.theguardi...t-fake-banknote[/url]
[/quote]

My understanding is that in legalise, a fake is something that is passed off as been a genuine article. As we will have a label saying 'fake' we are not claiming it to be a genuine note, therefore paradoxically it ceases to be a fake. Schrodinger' s £50? ;-)

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1393668290' post='2383072']
Bwahahaha!!! The areas we are most frequently paid with £50 notes are those where there's the greatest need for money laundering.

In posh areas, people buy their Pinot Grigio with credit cards, dontcherknow.

The place that has given us by far the most £50 notes was a big, empty Irish pub in a large, well-known Irish area of London. There was never any possible legal explanation for why a pub which never had more than a dozen punters in it could possibly have five shiny new £50 notes in the till every Saturday night ...
[/quote]
Yes, soon after posting I did think the folk most likely to have a mit full of 50s would be scrap dealers and others who buy and sell in cash; not the rich.

I still think insisting on smaller notes is reasonable.

Edited by Grangur