Why become a member? ×

Bits and pieces Squier/Fender P bass?

JCBass

I recently bought this P bass as it looked pretty nice and I was looking for a different sound to add some variety. I bought it under the impression that it was a 1997 Squier with some Dimarzio Model Ps fitted and bought it for a modest £150. I've been reliably informed that the body is in fact from a '74 P-Bass and still has the original preamp and that the neck is indeed a Squier, probably from the aforementioned '97 bass. I was wondering what kind of money would something like this be worth? P.S. The knobs are now reinstated, when I bought it the pots were in a taped off position underneath the pickguard.

Thanks in advance

[attachment=156837:DSCN2304.JPG]
[attachment=156838:DSCN2305.JPG]
[attachment=156839:DSCN2307.JPG]

[quote name='geoffbyrne' timestamp='1394102114' post='2387886']
To the best of my knowledge, a '74 P bass hasn't got a preamp, only the passive standard circuit.
[/quote]
Yep
It may be a 74 body but the preamp has been added

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1394123837' post='2388195']
Maybe the OP has seen the tone capacitor and mistaken that for something more than it actually is?
[/quote]

This is probably the case, I'm no expert when it comes to electrics etc. There's just the volume and tone knob.

Without wanting to seem a nay-sayer, what grounds were there for you being reliably informed it is a '74 Fender body under all that Dulux?

Superficially, I'd say you were fleeced at £150, for which you could get an already perfectly serviceable Squier Precision bass, not a just project.

If you're prepared to take the neck off I think (if it's a genuine Fender) that there ought to be a date stamp in the neck pocket and also the tone and volume pots will carry date stamps too, in which case choose the most recent of any date you find, assuming the pots are original to the body.