Why become a member? ×

Dunlop Nickles 4 string 45-105, thoughts

iconic

I've had a wee search and there seems to more opinions on stainless Dunlops, and just to be sure I'd like some thoughts on the Dunlop nickles, I'm thinking of giving the 45-105 medium nickles a go after 5 years of Fender 7250M Superbass use.

I know strings are so [u][i][b]very[/b][/i][/u] subjective but anything welcome.

many thanks guys (and gals)

these are the ones I'm, toying with.

Good quality cheaper strings. Quite a few bass builders use them as standard fit, I remember when Wood & Tronics swapped over to them a while back.

Paul Turner has just swapped over from DR (which he's used for years) to Dunlop steels and he's very, very picky about his strings!

Personally I like the nickels and my only criticism is that they seemed to die a little earlier than the Fodera string I usually use.

Yeah, Enrico from W&T seems to be a big fan,. Here's what he told me:

"Throughout the years we have tried every brand except maybe two or three of the cheapest ones, and we selected those which showed the best qualities. These were Fodera strings in the first place, then we discovered Dunlops, which are even a few notches better than Foderas in terms of dynamic responsiveness, overall performance and durability"

• 3 months later...

Had the guys at Dunlop in my local store doing demos and they went through some MXR/Way Huge pedals and strings. I'm D'Addario through and through but after trying to convince me to change, they talked me through the benefits of the dunlops over other brands.

Low tension. Designed by the guy from DR. Pre-stretched (so great for changing before gigs!). Reasonably priced. High wrap-ratio so feel really smooth (quite like the feel of coated strings without the coating). I'm usually pretty cynical with these kind of things but thought id try them.

I fitted them on my gigging bass this morning and tuned them up to pitch. Played them all day and not had to tweak the tuning at all. Just held tuning and required no setting of the action etc thanks to the pre-stretching. I'll be playing them all day tomorrow and Friday at a recording session, a rehearsal and a couple of gigs so I'll be looking to see how they fair. So far though, im converted. I suppose they lack the reputation of bigger brands because they haven't been around as long but the 'super bright' nickel set that I took are essentially a slightly different version of the DR High Beams (without the price tag). Really nice!