Why become a member? ×

Nylon tapewounds with a plectrum.

Maude

Just had a thought and it might be silly but how do nylon tapewound strings hold up with plectrum use.

I have Fender tapes on my fretless and was considering using some on my main gigging bass as I really like them, I mainly play with my fingers but do use a plectrum on some songs. Just wondered if a hard plectrum would damage the tape wrap or not.

Any experience peeps?

Alternative picks are available :) I like a bit of leather sometimes <_< different & complimentary to flats I feel, you can play 'firmer' than fingers but without the click :rolleyes: of a plastic pick.

Mandolin picks - loads of varieties - grades of felt & leather, try some :D

Edit: I have GHS Black Nylon Tapewound on 1 fretted & 1 fretless, lovely tones from both.

Edited by KiOgon

I don't want any different pick materials, the reason I use a pick on some songs is to get an aggressive punky sound so don't want felt or leather, I'm happy with my trusty old Dunlop 1mm nylon picks ;) .

The Fender nylon tapes I have on the fretless have a sound a bit like old rounds (which I like) but feel lovely to play, a half way house between flats and rounds if you like. This is why I'd like to put them on my main gigging bass, I want the same sound as the old dead rounds but with the lovely feel of nylon tapes.

Now all this talk of leather and nylon is starting to make me come over all unnecessary :D .

Thanks guy.

Edited by Maude