Why become a member? ×

Recording a Mesa 400+

Sean

Hi folks,
I'm going into the studio in two weeks and I'm wondering if anyone's got any tips on recording a 400+. I'm using my 2024 plugged in to it with no effects and it'll be sitting atop a Big Twin 2.

So far the plan is to hook it up to a BF Big Twin 2, drive the power section as hard as possible and mic it with an SM57. This came from the guy recording us, he doesn't like DI or sims just real rigs.

Anyone got any handy hints?

Much as though your man might hate it, I always like to mix a mic and DI so I would ask to do the same - it's about what you want and you might be pleasantly surprised at what you get.

I have to say (looking at your sig) I'd be tempted to mic and DI the Walkabout. You have a 12" version of my rig (15" Walkabout and 2x15 cab) and I got superb sounds with the Walkabout mic'd and DI'd - and less to carry.

[quote name='Bassman Steve' timestamp='1394400803' post='2391089']
Much as though your man might hate it, I always like to mix a mic and DI so I would ask to do the same
[/quote]

Yep, you don't have to print it to the final mix but it makes sense to track the DI.

Yeah don't just use a sm57, if you do use it grab a DI signal as well as you'll be lacking in the low end with just a 57.

Electro voice re-20 is the best I've heard a bass amp recorded, else Heil PR-40 so see if he's got one of them knocking around (unlikely if he's opting for a 57)

Also remember it's your bass sound not the producers, I say this because it sounds you're recording your band and not sessioning. He might know best, but then again he might just be a guy who bought some software and is now an expert, I leave it up to you to make that assessment of him.

[quote name='Bassman Steve' timestamp='1394400803' post='2391089']
Much as though your man might hate it, I always like to mix a mic and DI so I would ask to do the same - it's about what you want and you might be pleasantly surprised at what you get.

I have to say (looking at your sig) I'd be tempted to mic and DI the Walkabout. You have a 12" version of my rig (15" Walkabout and 2x15 cab) and I got superb sounds with the Walkabout mic'd and DI'd - and less to carry.
[/quote]

Hmmm, I might have to try this on one track just to see how good it is; I've got lots of time. Carrying gear's not an issue so there's no restriction other than how much I can put in the car.

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1394401416' post='2391099']
Yep, you don't have to print it to the final mix but it makes sense to track the DI.
[/quote]
[quote name='tayste_2000' timestamp='1394401539' post='2391104']
Yeah don't just use a sm57, if you do use it grab a DI signal as well as you'll be lacking in the low end with just a 57.

Electro voice re-20 is the best I've heard a bass amp recorded, else Heil PR-40 so see if he's got one of them knocking around (unlikely if he's opting for a 57)

Also remember it's your bass sound not the producers, I say this because it sounds you're recording your band and not sessioning. He might know best, but then again he might just be a guy who bought some software and is now an expert, I leave it up to you to make that assessment of him.
[/quote]
Thanks, guys.

Apparently the mics are Rode NT1A.

I'll do the mic + DI and see what it comes out like and as Chris says, it may or may not make it to the final mix. Either way, I'll post to Soundcloud so you can hear.

The guy's been recording for years and I've recorded there before albeit a very rushed job with a DI box. When I spoke to him, he had a "whatever you want to do..." attitude and he's a very helpful chap. [url="https://www.facebook.com/pages/RedRock-Studios/102248616530910"]https://www.facebook...102248616530910[/url]

I'm quite excited as it's the first time I've been in the studio with an originals band for twenty years :blink:

Edited by Sean

Interesting discussion with Alex C the other night about recording my 400+ and he covered a couple of points that I'd not thought of. With many of the BF cabs they're completely transparent and don't colour the sound so micing the cab won't be dissimilar from DI-ing.

There's a Polish Queen site where you can download the 24 track multi's for many Queen tracks. Have a listen to Bohemian Rhapsody where you have a DI, a mic'd Acoustic 301 (presumably through an Acoustic 370) and a mic'd 4x12 (presumably through a 100w Hiwatt). You can solo these in any combination and you'll see exactly what we're saying. The difference between DI and cab is startling.

It certainly leads me to raise a single eyebrow (if I could) at Alex's suggestion regarding the BF cab. I wonder if he has evidence of this any more than I can prove that I just don't see that at all. Taking the feed straight off the bass won't have the amp colouration for a start, so I have to respectfully dismiss what he's saying.

[quote name='Bassman Steve' timestamp='1394876617' post='2396147']
Here's the link - [url="http://wewillrockyou.pl/download/queen-multitracks/"]http://wewillrockyou.pl/download/queen-multitracks/[/url]

Some very intersting stuff there.
[/quote]

I'll have a look at those when I get home. What file format and what do you need to play them?

So, we recorded today and what we did was to put a mic on each speaker of the Matamp 2x12 and also run a line out of the DI. It sounds really hefty and you can easily hear that it's a big valve amp but the power section isn't as hot as I'd have liked. The problem was that the Boogie is so powerful that at anything past 7 through the cab it was interfering with the fabric of the building and causing all sorts of sympathetic vibrations.

I used my Valenti with flats on one song and my 2024 with half-wounds on the other two.

I'll post the recordings when they come back from mixing and mastering.

[quote name='Bassman Steve' timestamp='1394875072' post='2396134']
There's a Polish Queen site where you can download the 24 track multi's for many Queen tracks. Have a listen to Bohemian Rhapsody where you have a DI, a mic'd Acoustic 301 (presumably through an Acoustic 370) and a mic'd 4x12 (presumably through a 100w Hiwatt). You can solo these in any combination and you'll see exactly what we're saying. The difference between DI and cab is startling.

It certainly leads me to raise a single eyebrow (if I could) at Alex's suggestion regarding the BF cab. I wonder if he has evidence of this any more than I can prove that I just don't see that at all. Taking the feed straight off the bass won't have the amp colouration for a start, so I have to respectfully dismiss what he's saying.
[/quote]
I'd assume he meant a post-EQ DI off the amp rather than a DI straight from the bass to the desk.

Still, not convinced even Barefaced would be [i]that[/i] transparent