Why become a member? ×

Am I Mad? Wanting to sell a 55-01 and buy a CV P-bass? :S

bigevilman

Currently using 2 55-01s, awesome basses - got one passive (with nordstrands) and one active (standard), and they both have their own characteristics.

But over the last few weeks, I've had the urge to get a CV 60's precision, upgrade the hardware and fit a J pickup at the bridge for some tonal variations. I've been a fingerstyle player religiously for the last 3 years, but I'm thinking I should mix it up with a plectrum again.

Am I mad? Is this just a stupid phase? I'm using the passive 55-01 more now, with rolling it more to the neck pickup to get some nice grunt to it, which I think a P-bass would excel at.

Thoughts?

Personally i think it would be a bad idea to do that, especially if you're going to be hacking in to the CV60 to add a jazz pick up. You may as well just keep the 55-01. If you're that desperate for a 4 string PJ , look in to something like the new Squier VM Precision Bass but I wouldn't get rid of one of those Laklands to do all that to a CV60.

My 2 pennies worth anyway :)

Sounds eminently sensible to me although Im not sure that id bother with a jazz pup at the bridge.
I have a bitsa sx p bass with a wizard thumper pickup, sadly no longer available, but it does what it says on the box brilliantly.
Why not just go for a posh p bass pickup and hardware, I have gotoh 70s tuners on mine