Why become a member? ×

Bartolini pick-ups on Zon: which ones?

ribass

Hi there,
does anybody know which Bartolini pick-ups sound nowdays like the Bartolini pick-ups that Zon used in the Legacy Elite model around the first 90's?
Am I wrong if I suppose they belong to the "original" series?
Thanks a lot

Edited by ribass

My understanding is that all the Zon Bartolinis are custom wound to emphasise the low mids. I guess the 'Original' series will come closer than the 'Classic' which has an extended frequency range. The pickup on my 90s Legacy Elite is the same size as a BD5C soapbar but has four screw mounting holes where the BD casing only has 3. Zon customer support are usually very helpful - [email="[email protected]"][email protected][/email]

As I understand it, Zon's pickups are indeed specifically wound by Bartolini to best suit the sound of those basses, but in reality they probably won't actually sound[i] that [/i]different to some of the stock models currently offered by Bartolini . However, the one exception to that generalization are the specially wound humbuckers used on the Legacy Elite Special. Those pickups have a[i][u] very [/u][/i] pronounced emphasis in the lower mids, so much so that they are instantly recognizable if you come across them . They are only used on that very rare Special model that was introduced in the mid 1990's , which also features a bubinga top and coil tap switch.

If you really want to know which Bartolinis sound like the pickups Zon used in the early '90's then, like Ikay says, contact Zon and/ or Bartolini and ask their advice.

Edited by Dingus