Why become a member? ×

Gigs closing down

chris_b

[quote name='chris_b' post='237570' date='Jul 11 2008, 08:16 PM']Times are getting tougher than tough. Three great local gigs have folded in the last two months, The Globe in Brentford, The Red Lion in Teddington and The Forresters in Catford.
What's happening where you are?[/quote]

Cambridge's only decent small venue (good enough for Oasis), the Boatrace, turned into a f***ing *wine bar* a few years back. And our Barfly is about to close.

Dire.

(edited for awful English)

Edited by bremen

We used to have four gigs in my home town, now there's only one left, playing it on Sunday actually.....it's on it's way out too, not many people around, not a good payer. I think it's overkill, bands three nights a week in some places....it shows, when we play a venue that has regular live nights, it's always a bit low on the punters but when we do a venue that has 12 bands a year it's packed and they pay more.

It's not a good situation for the covers band I'm with, last year it was 3 nights a week, these days it's down to one or two if we're lucky. July is a bad month for us so far and I'm dreading August.

A couple round here have closed, the scene died for a couple of years though and it's only just starting to pick up again... a bit. One of the more popular venues is under new management and bits of kit keep going missing (a smoke machine, 2 sets of cymbals and a £300 double bass pedal) and we don't know who to suspect, nobody wants to leave their equipment there overnight anymore, and it was fine before. Also my guitarist opened the case for his wireless system today and found another local band's setlist in it. Hmm, that's iffy, there's no reason he would have put it in there. i'm gonna have words with them.

Edited by budget bassist

Going well here in Oxford, just had our main venue (zodiac, 250 and 450 person stages) refurbished with a big 900+ person venue added to the back of it (however it's now an academy so you win some you lose some eh?)

Also had another large one open recently, it's bloody huge, gotta be over a thousand.

Also the old guard are going well...so yeah, it's good here :)

Jesus I come accross as a smug bastard here...