Why become a member? ×

Trace Elliot 2x10"s: how many models did they make?

Matte_black

Hello! I'm a bit curious about this brand... I owned a few of their amps (VA350, Twin Valve, a GP7 combo) and I see lots of their cabs in the used market.
What makes me curious is the 2x10": looks like they made several different models. I've seen:

2x10" vertically stacked (no tweeter)
2x10" orizontalli stacked (with tweeter)
2x10" orizontally staked (with tweeter and red stripe)
2x10" vertically stacked (with two mids and no tweeter)

Anybody can shed some light about specs and sounds of those versions?
I've heard the model with the mids is very nice, but it's pretty rare. 2103X or something like that. :lol:

Not entirely sure but it's at least four different models (not including variations ie different covering) that I'm aware of.

In reverse order as I know it..

The current model 2005 onwards. 1028H: Pimple finish, Celestion speakers plus HF component, 400w. Vented enclosure witth slot port along the bottom.

The previous model up to about 2001, 2103H: Pimple finish and Green carpet, Celestion speakers (C10H) plus HF component, 200w. Vented enclosure with two front mounted round ports. 2102 came witth no HF unit and the H is dropped from the model number.

Earlier model up to around '93 2103X: Pimple finish older models loaded with earlier version of the Celestion driver, newer ones loaded with C10H and two 5" paper cone mid/HF drivers. 10" drivers are slightly offset. 200w. Vented enclosure, round ports behind grill.

Vintage versions (2102?): Pimple finish loaded with Fane speakers, no HF component and red stripe. Vented enclosure with round ports behind grill. Some (poossibly all?) came as a wedge shaped enclosure to act like a stage monitor. Not sure of power handling.

I had a 2103H and it was quite a good little cab but I asked a bit much of it at the time. Sounded great once I'd bought an 1153 to go with it (compact 1x15") with a 300SMX driving it all.

[quote name='Matte_black' timestamp='1395763982' post='2405976']
2x10" orizontalli stacked (with tweeter)
2x10" orizontally staked (with tweeter and red stripe)
[/quote]
Forgive me for asking...but are you typing with an [i]accent[/i]?!

[quote name='Matte_black' timestamp='1395771890' post='2406118']
Thanx VType! I've seen a lot of 2103s and one 2102, pretty cheap. What about the sound and the woofers' performance on the various models? Is the 2102 dark sounding or the woofers are "extended range"?
[/quote]

I couldn't really comment on th '80s Fane loaded models as I've never owned or played one. At the time (and probably into the '90s) Trace also sold two versions of their 'bright box' to extend the high frequency response so there's a chance the older versions did sound a little duller than later models. Also you'd rarely see one without it being paired with a 15" or 18" cab too suggesting the bottom end wasn't as capable as we'd expect from newer 10" cabs. Lastly, remember Trace were very much into the bi-amp thing during reign of the AH350 and mighty AH500 which would save high excursion of the 10" drivers allowing them to play louder before any unpleasnt noises occured. All speculation of course!

The 2103H (with Celestion C10H) I had offered a decent full range sound (*only ever bi-amped it once) with enough of weight on the bottom if needed as well as detail and transparency further up the frequency range. I bought the cab as an extention for my 712 SMC combo and it seemed to add both top and bottom in addition to the single 12" in the combo. The woofers themselves work very well in the cab as long as you bare in mind it's a compact 2 x 10 so don't expect them to deal with or reproduce a bottom B on a 5-string at full-on gig levels.

The cab was always much better when i paired it with the 15 as it offered a significantly greater amount of bottom end which I then wound out of the graphic so could drive the whole rig a bit more without the speakers complaining. If pushed too far the drivers will compalin giving that unpleasnt papery flap but they did have to be moving quite a way for that to happen. I never saw spec sheet for the drivers but I'd hazard a guess they were a tweaked version of the BG10-80 with a bigger magnet that might imply a greater motor strength and damping. Xmax probably didn't exceed 2mm or 3mm but despite a modest spec, not a bad driver IME.

* Just a note on the bi-amp. I had a 600SMX for a while which offered a crossover facility so I grabbed all the cabs I could at the time just to try it. On the 'high' side I ran the Trace 2103H and 1048H then on the 'low' I ran the Trace 1153 and a Martin Audio EM series 1 x 18" which was part of the PA at the time. It was truly monsterous! :lol:

• 3 weeks later...