Why become a member? ×

What to do next

JamesBass

So, I'm 20 years old, I'm just finishing up on my HND in Music Performance and have submitted some applications to some Uni's to finish my degree next year. However, as time goes on I'm finding that doing my final year isn't as appealing as it once was. Having been looking at what graduate level jobs are out there relating to music, I feel rather depressed at my chances of finding one! I am looking at potentially doing my PGCE so as to enable me to teach, however, I don't want to teach yet. I might want to in the future, but I'm not 100% sure yet.

I am in a band and we are due to release our debut album this year, though I haven't played on the album, I have produced some of it and mixed it. I joined after all the bass lines were tracked by the rhythm guitarist. Now, the most happy I am, is when I practice, write and gig with my band, well whenever I'm with my band doing music! I also have begun building up a small teaching business teaching bass guitar privately. On top of that, part of my HND has been to organise and promote a gig. Many have seen my post about the gig, which is tomorrow night in The Spinnaker Tower if you're interested, ;) and I've enjoyed doing that, but there's not much money in anything other than teaching, and only then it's only worth it if I can get more than 5 hours of teaching time a week, currently I do 2 hours a week on average.

So do I go full hog in to my teaching, band and promoting work while always looking for the next project and find myself a part time "anchor" job? Or do I go finish my degree?

At the minute I'm split down the middle.

100% finish your degree. As long as you can get by and you can live somehow then you need to finish your qualifications.

You've got the rest of your life to dick about with bands and projects. At the moment your life is geared towards HE. In a few years, you will not want to go back to finish, you'll be heavily involved in other things and you'll regret not taking this opportunity to get a degree.

Truckstop

Edited by Truckstop

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1395851153' post='2407161']
100% finish your degree. As long as you can get by and you can live somehow then you need to finish your qualifications.

You've got the rest of your life to dick about with bands and projects. At the moment your life is geared towards HE. In a few years, you will not want to go back to finish, you'll be heavily involved in other things and you'll regret not taking this opportunity to get a degree.

Truckstop
[/quote]i've nothing to add to this^