Why become a member? ×

Low tension strings

gub

Black nylon coated strings usually are lower tension. Sometimes they are rounds with the nylon coat over them. Others are flats with the same. I have wanted to like these strings but I just can't settle with them.

Thomastik Jazz Flats are lower tension and lovely, IMHO. I come back to these strings again and again. I find they don't suit every bass I have. I have them on my ACG at the moment and they sound great on that, probably due to the heavy woods involved. Lovely big fat tone. Didn't sound so good to my ear on my Cort which is Agathis and much lighter.

i find them hard to set up a bass with out a high action, because low tension string's have round cores instead of hex core. a bit too floppy for me. DR low rider's are my choice, although i do like there steel Marcus Miller's. It depends on your playing style i guess too. Low tension aren't my taste for a aggressive playing style. chokes up the note too much.

Edited by bubinga5

Round core DR'S such as Sunbeams, Fatbeams and Hi Beams are low tension, as are Thomastic Jazzz Rounds. Dunlops claim to be lower tension, but feel about average to me. Warwick Black Label are pretty low tension, too.

Edited by Dingus

This is a good read to determine the difference between compliance abd tension, to help determine if you want lower tension or just change compliance

Http://liutaiomottola.com/myth/perception.htm

And d'ardario's string tension guide is a good reference point.

http://daddario.com/upload/tension_chart_13934.pdf

Having never tried low tension strings how do they feel?
I like light gauge strings, 30-90 even but they can be somewhat twangy and definite loss of tone compared to a heavier gauge.
I think I like lighter gauges because they are a lower tension.
So the question is do lower tension strings feel like a lighter gauge but with the depth that fat strings have?

Anyone have any used sets they want to sell ?