Why become a member? ×

Orange Bass Terror and OBC115

sirmuppet

[quote name='sirmuppet' timestamp='1396123663' post='2410249']

I've been playing a couple of times at gigs lately.

The Bass I was using is a 2007 Ric 4003.

I started to get a really horrible bassy vibration, like it was resonating badly.

I know there's talk about changing the Pre amp valves on the Orange.
[/quote]

Others have already covered a lot of ground, so I thought I'd pick up on a few things not mentioned (that I noticed).

When you gig, what's your band's line-up? Playing in a 3-piece sounds radically different from playing with two guitars and a keyboard.

What settings do you normally have your Ric on?

A horrible bassy vibration sounds like a suitable case for an Auralex Grammapad (or similar). If you know someone who has one - they ain't cheap - see if you can borrow it for a trial.

Changing the valves on an OTB is all about bringing the gain under control. I can't see it having any real impact on your problem.

Good luck

I know 15s have a lot of bass - yes expert-peoples I know that speaker size shouldn`t have anything to do with this but I`d bet it`s bassier than the 210 in the same range - but a Rick, with the VT should be getting plenty enough top-end, especially if having bass fully off and mids & treble up full.

If possible, get another set-up at a rehearsal studio and swap them about. Start with a different bass through your rig, then try your bass through the same amp, different cab, then your bass, different amp plus your cab etc. Sounds to me like something may have gone kaput, possibly a tone-pot on the bass or in the amp. Swapping things around may identify where the problem is.