Why become a member? ×

Mods - please lock or delete - new tidier thread started.
£220

Paul S

For sale my Squier VM Jazz fretless in sunburst. Lined, black ebonol neck. This has a black single ply pickguard made by our very own Bass Doc and is fitted with a J Retro pre-amp in black, so it kind of just merges with the edges. As you would expect the J Retro expands the tones considerably - sounds just like a fretless jazz should sound. Body has some scratches, some buckle rash at the back but not in bad nick overall. Plays nicely.

Some negatives - when the treble is up or the high mids it is possible to detect a grounding hum that I have not been able to eliminate. Of course, touch the metal and it goes, but it is there nevertheless. Roll these off and it all but disappears. 'EDIT - 11.04.14, played through my main rig, virtually no hum, home practice lead now chucked!

As set up at the moment it plays nicely with a decent low action. But the bridge is pretty much maxed out height-wise and would need shimming to get it higher, if that is your thing. - Edit now fixed.

When I bought it the seller said it was a Squier VM neck but on another body - because that is what one potential buyer had told him. I have no idea how to tell this - possibly the neck/bridge adjustment is a clue, I don't know.

Weighs in at a whisker over 9lbs. (Edit - should be lighter without the J Retro pre-amp)

[s]Currently fitted with Status nylon flats, which I will take off -[/s] can fit flats or rounds, depending on your preference.
[attachment=159285:vmjf1.jpg]
More pictures to follow.

Would like [s]£220[/s] [s]£120[/s] £105 collected from SS7 or meet halfway. £15 to courier in a box and well wrapped.

[s]Might part it out - the black J Retro new is £205! - but would prefer not to bother and sell as is.[/s]

Trade - Aria Pro II CSB Cardinal 380 or 450 in black with or without some cash my way. Ideally a Black N Gold, details negotiable.

Any questions, ask away.

I fangyoo. :)

Edited by Paul S

Bit more info. it was brought to my attention that the pups don't have any markings on them, so not the Duncan designed ones that you would expect to see on a VM Squier. So, body unknown, neck is ebonol VM Squier.

I've decided to remove the J-retro and sell it separately, put this back to passive so new price (once I have done it) will be £120 and the pre-amp will shortly appear in the other items bit for £100.

OK. Some more pictures and an update. I have taken out the preamp, put the original plate back in. Still a bit of humming :( With tone control full on you can hear it but it disappears around half-way. I shimmed the neck, the bridge is no longer maxed out and is useable. Put some spare strings on it for the sale - they are Dr Black Beauties, so coated roundwound.

In view of the grounding issue remaining I am dropping the price a little to £120 posted or £105 collected from SS7.

[attachment=159547:P1000417(1).JPG][attachment=159549:P1000416(1).JPG][attachment=159550:P1000418(1).JPG][attachment=159551:P1000419(1).JPG][attachment=159552:P1000420(1).JPG][attachment=159553:P1000421(1).JPG][attachment=159554:P1000422(1).JPG]

Just played it through my proper rig - Genz Benz Streamliner 600, with both gain knobs at 12 o'clock, treble on the bass turned up full. The hum is barely audible, eben when cranked up to full volume. I've now thrown away the lead I use at home!

Nevertheless, a £105 fretless, now virtually humless, Jazz-type bump :)