Why become a member? ×

SOLD: MIDI 6-in 6-out channel switching patchbay unit - home made
£30

I built this gadget a few years ago based on a design by the venerable R.A. Penfold. It is a 6-channel MIDI patchbay (routing unit) based around 6N139 opto-isolator chips.

[u]What it is/does[/u]

The MIDI sockets on the rear allow connection to 6 MIDI sources and 6 MIDI destinations. They can be the same, but don't have to be. I have left the labels on, showing the devices that I had connected, but you can easily remove these and affix your own.

Each MIDI destination has its own 6-way switch on the front panel.[list]
[*]Switch 1 allows you to connect destination 1 to any one of the sources 2-5, and the remaining position is marked 0, denoting no connection.
[*]Switch 2 allows you to connect destination 2 to any one of the sources 1, 3-5, and the remaining position is marked 0, denoting no connection.
[*]And so on....
[/list]
The outputs are buffered, so the device can work as a splitter, sending (for example) 1 source to 5 destinations, 2 sources to 2 destinations each etc.

The chips work on 5V DC, and the circuit includes a voltage regulator, so you can run it on any centre-negative power supply giving 7V DC or more (e.g. a Boss-type adaptor). A rather old but perfectly functional DC adaptor is included in the sale.

[u]What it is NOT/CAN'T DO[/u]

It is not a MIDI merge unit. A source can be sent to more than one destination, but no destination can receive MID data from more than one source at once.
The sources and destinations do not relate to MIDI channel numbers.
There is no facility to filter MID data, it just passes the lot.

If you have any technical questions, please post them in this thread and I will do my best to answer them. Please PM any offers etc.

£30 delivered within the UK - bank transfer, PayPal, postal order(!)

Edited by JapanAxe