Why become a member? ×

Ramp on a Fodera YYS

JazzBassfreak

Hi guys,
You may recall a thread not too long ago "So I bought a Fodera..." Well I've had chance to really get to grips with my new instrument and I really love it. But I'm having the old slight comfort issue of, I can't get used to perching my thumb on the P pickup and the J isn't where I play.

Basically I need advice on a ramp? I'm wondering whether to have a custom ramp made to fit between the pickups and a custom wood cover to fit over it all so it kinda looks abit more like a mass single pickup (not sure)..Any views/suggestions appreciated.

Cheers
JBF

My view, is short of having it shop-fitted by Fodera which I'm guessing is not an option, I'd get your nearest reputable luthier to make one out of a wood of your choice - (feel under the fingers & looks) and get them to fix it with double-sided tape so you don't make any permanent change to the wood on your bass. Bernie Goodfellow did my original ramp out of a matching walnut top wood and Jon Shucker (who's 200 miles nearer me) made some adjustments when we he set it up recently. Although it sounds flimsy, it works a treat. And shouldn't cost too much...

Edited by visog

[quote name='visog' timestamp='1397229480' post='2422049']
My view, is short of having it shop-fitted by Fodera which I'm guessing is not an option, I'd get your nearest reputable luthier to make one out of a wood of your choice - (feel under the fingers & looks) and get them to fix it with double-sided tape so you don't make any permanent change to the wood on your bass. Bernie Goodfellow did my original ramp out of a matching walnut top wood and Jon Shucker (who's 200 miles nearer me) made some adjustments when we he set it up recently. Although it sounds flimsy, it works a treat. And shouldn't cost too much...
[/quote]

Thanks man. Just wanted abit of advice, what sort of wood for a ramp+cover would you yourself recommend?

Not sure what you mean by 'cover'. But as for wood, choices are a combination of looks and functionality. So you'd want a wood that compliments your bass, or provides a nice contrast. Like the top of your bass, it can be a laminate if your luthier doesn't have a deep chunk of walnut lying around. Jon Shuker used a laminate to raise the height of mine to just under the strings when fretted at the 24th fret. But don't sweat it too much as if you use the tape option as I'm recommending, you can experiment without altering your (probably very) expensive Fodera.

As for woods, mine's walnut - see 4th row down, 4th column: http://www.gbguitars.co.uk/gb_spitfire_gallery3.asp

[quote name='visog' timestamp='1397241855' post='2422221']
Not sure what you mean by 'cover'. But as for wood, choices are a combination of looks and functionality. So you'd want a wood that compliments your bass, or provides a nice contrast. Like the top of your bass, it can be a laminate if your luthier doesn't have a deep chunk of walnut lying around. Jon Shuker used a laminate to raise the height of mine to just under the strings when fretted at the 24th fret. But don't sweat it too much as if you use the tape option as I'm recommending, you can experiment without altering your (probably very) expensive Fodera.

As for woods, mine's walnut - see 4th row down, 4th column: http://www.gbguitars.co.uk/gb_spitfire_gallery3.asp
[/quote]

By cover I mean a wood cover that covers the pickups and also sits over the ramp :)

Well that sounds a bit more involved and potentially drilling into your Fodera top. I think the Damien Erskine Skjolds have something like that. As a retro-fit, I'd go with a more simple ramp that gives you the 'wood under your fingers' feel without the fuss of some elaborate construction. Also I think the Gary Willis Ibanez has some adjustable thing happening too but yours is post-build and I don't want to suggest anything that involves Fodera surgery.

Edited by visog

[quote name='visog' timestamp='1397244664' post='2422258']
Well that sounds a bit more involved and potentially drilling into your Fodera top. I think the Damien Erskine Skjolds have something like that. As a retro-fit, I'd go with a more simple ramp that gives you the 'wood under your fingers' feel without the fuss of some elaborate construction. Also I think the Gary Willis Ibanez has some adjustable thing happening too but yours is post-build and I don't want to suggest anything that involves Fodera surgery.
[/quote]

Nope, it would involve longer pickup screws :)