Why become a member? ×

Gretsch six string bass

Yet another "you don't see one of them every day".

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gretsch-Jet-Baritone-short-scale-six-string-bass-guitar-/321379043681?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item4ad3af0961

Baritone guitar converted to a six string bass. Professionally converted, we are told. It's certainly an interesting looking thing, and if it's tuned from E up as I suspect it is, the 29.75" scale length may not be unreasonable. Narrow string spacing, but it seems a plausible (and cheaper) alternative to a Squier Bass VI.

I wonder what it sounds like. I also wonder what had to be done to it apart from the obvious nut work and potentially drilling larger holes in the tailpiece.

This video suggests that not all Gretsch Baritone Guitars are E to E, but that some (at least) are B to B.

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bU3X7dxxJR8"]https://www.youtube....h?v=bU3X7dxxJR8[/url]

I'm not to sure that I want a vibrato on a bass. I'm hoping to buy a fretless ... at some time, and feel that's the way to go in order to get more pitch control.

If I was in the market for a Squier Bass VI, I might actually have bid on this. Birmingham is close enough for cash on collection for something I really want. But, I personally don't like the idea of a six string bass with close string spacing, no low B string, and the inconvenient tuning for the higher two strings. A guitar rack with both a bass and a all-fourths tuned guitar on it covers enough ground.

Listening to the video, the unmodified Gretsch sounds OK to me, and does what it does, making an option between basses and regular guitars. But, speaking personally, I don't want that option. I can imagine other people finding it very useful however.

As for the modified version, again I think there's someone out there that might find it useful.

Edited by Annoying Twit

I had one of these for a couple of years. It arrived tuned E-E but the guy in the music shop I bought it from thought it was an ordinary baritone and tuned it *up* to B-B, trashing the strings. A set of La Bellas later, and it was back to being a Fender VI scale six string bass. Despite the Gretsch branding, they're made in China. Build quality on mine was great but it was exceptionally light. The tremelo was fitted as standard, but only really there for aesthetics as far as I could tell since the bass would go straight out of tune with anything but the mildest pressure on it.

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1397574681' post='2425283']
@chriswareham - what did yours sound like? I thought the youtube video up above made it sound OK, but not at all like a bass.
[/quote]

I used mine as a bass for several rehearsals with my old band, but we split before I got a chance to use it live. With a bit of tweaking on the amp EQ, I got a suitably thumpy bass tone and with chorus engaged it made a great instrument for Peter Hook style lead lines. At the time I bought it, I also tried a Schecter Hellcat and to me at least they felt the same to play. I eventually chose the Gretsch based on aesthetics, and I now regret selling it even though it would only get home use at the moment since I currently play in a heavily detuned metal band. I'd say that the bridge conversion on the one in the eBay listing is actually a bonus, since I foud the Bigsby trem a bit pointless.