Why become a member? ×

P Bass blind test

TheGreek

I've posted something in the "Events" thread but recognise that I'll probably get a bigger audience here so...

As part of the Herts Bash 2 I'd like to put on a blind test for P basses, testing different brands in different price brackets to see how different they are and whether people can tell the difference.

If you're planning on coming to the Herts Bash and own a P Bass please bring it along. Might be helpful if I know in advance what you're bringing so we can prepare some paperwork for those who choose to get involved...

Hopefully see you there..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Moving this forward..can anybody planning on bringing a P Bass for the test put the following details on this thread in preparation for the day.

Name/Brand of bass
Country of origin
Estimated original cost
Fretboard - RW/M/other
Strings - flats-v-rounds-v-other and steel-v-nickel (should we also consider brand?)
Type of p/ups

We may ask for more info later depending...

Thanks

Edited by TheGreek

What would you be testing for, is the idea to look at good value, great playability,feel or sound ?
Or are you looking to test like for like eg. Squire v Yamaha etc.

Edited by bigd1

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1401391995' post='2463255']
Moving this forward..can anybody planning on bringing a P Bass for the test put the following details on this thread in preparation for the day.

Name/Brand of bass
Country of origin
Estimated original cost
Fretboard - RW/M/other
Strings - flats-v-rounds-v-other and steel-v-nickel (should we also consider brand?)
Type of p/ups

We may ask for more info later depending...

Thanks
[/quote]

I could bring a Westone Thunder 1 along (is this allowed? It's not really a P, but it's like a P)
Japan (1982, Matsumoku)
RW fretboard
Rotosound steel rounds
Original single passive split P-style pickup - possibly a Di-Marzio knock-off...not sure.

Will there be a prize for the heaviest bass known to man? :)

Edited by barkin

[quote name='spacey' timestamp='1401485153' post='2464223']
If someone turns up with a 76-78 maple board USA and plugs it in I think everyone else will just go home to avoid the embarrassment.
[/quote]

That would be me, I`m presenting the session, and my trusty black/black/maple `78 is going to make an appearance.

Edited by Lozz196

This sounds like a very interesting little exercise, and it will be fun to find out the results.

I was trying to visualise how you would go about the blind test.

Would people be led off to a small room one by one and then sat on a stool in front of a camera,
Someone (possibly a mod) places a black hood over their head,
followed by a version of a P Bass slung around their neck,
Then unison screaming demands that they play Moondance?

I suppose after relatives have been informed,
the resulting outcome would then be posted up on Basschat like one of those terrorist hostage videos?

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1401485475' post='2464226']
That would be me, I`m presenting the session, and my trusty black/black/maple `78 is going to make an appearance.
[/quote]

Set of New Rotosound swing bass, 100w valve head and thats that won then.

Name/brand - Fender Precision
Country of origin - USA, 2012
Est original cost - £1k (new)
Fretboard - Maple
Strings - D'Addario Flatwound Chromes
P/ups - Custom Shop 60s
Neck reshaped to a Jazz profile by Jon Shuker

I'll also bring along my 2001 Fender Mustang MIJ reissue. Like a short scale P. Don't know if it'll qualify for the test but it's there if you want it!

Edited by hertsbass

Are Dingwall Super P basses allowed?

if so

Dingwall Super P/J 5 string
Fiesta Red body / Alder
Hand Made in Saskatoon, Canada by Sheldon Dingwall
Freetboard Maple with block mop inlays
Strings: Dingwall Nickel
Pickups Dingwall own
Neck: Maple
Glockenklang Two band preamp with active / passive switch.

Would it not be better to keep the variables down to the bare minimum? It would be better as a test if you were actually testing for specific things rather than having a million different P basses all with different components, setups and strings, might not be as much fun as an event though!

At the moment every bass is different so nothing is really comparable, the results might not mean a whole much if there is no control.

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Name/brand - Fender Precision[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Country of origin - Mexico, 2006 (I think)[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Est original cost - £350[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Fretboard - Gloss Maple[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Strings - D'Addario ProSteels(.110)[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]P/ups - 1/4lb Seymour Duncan[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Bridge : BAII[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Neck replaced by Jon Shuker[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Hehehe yeah it's a bit modded :D[/font][/color]

In principle we're looking to compare as many different basses which fit the P bass "model" - obviously they'll all be tested in passive mode (if you're bringing an active P bass) - however we may have to be flexible on the day. For now we're looking at variety to test whether people can/can't tell the difference. I'll discuss it with Lozz who's running the test.

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1401980708' post='2468875']...They are just the ones that were on there when I got it.
[/quote]

It doesn't matter what they are, as in that case they need changing, as everyone seems to swap out original stuff, whatever it is. Put a set of [[i]insert here whatever's fashionable at the time of reading[/i]...] on it and improve your bass no end. :lol: :P

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1401976611' post='2468835']
In principle we're looking to compare as many different basses which fit the P bass "model" - obviously they'll all be tested in passive mode (if you're bringing an active P bass) - however we may have to be flexible on the day. For now we're looking at variety to test whether people can/can't tell the difference. I'll discuss it with Lozz who's running the test.
[/quote]

Ok never mind then, I'll pass. Cheers :) You lot are frettists.... (prejudiced againt fanned frets) so ram it up your ..... I ain't coming.

Edited by Grand Wazoo