Why become a member? ×

Shergold Marathon... Price?

This has been up before, I'm sure of it... very nice bass and in my favourite colour combo too. I know Andy Baxter tends to sell for the top end of retail and good luck to him, but I'm wondering if it's a little hot price wise, or is this a typical price for a Marathon now?

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/80s-SHERGOLD-MARATHON-MK1A-BASS-/181384602978?ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:GB:3160"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/80s-SHERGOLD-MARATHON-MK1A-BASS-/181384602978?ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:GB:3160[/url]

Shergold basses seem to be on the up and up these days... I know that their relative rarity and the fact that they've been out of production for decades affects the supply and demand curve obviously, but... any comments? :)

Of course people like me bringing them to the attention of bass players on a public forum is probably not helping to generally keep prices low, is it..? Oops... :rolleyes:

I saw that. He can, of course, stick any asking price on it but I wonder if it will sell for that? You'll need Group4 to take yours to gigs at this rate!

I wonder - should I get a refinish on mine, or leave it tatty? Inclined to leave it tatty, especially as the pickups are not stock.

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1397751041' post='2427104']
You'll need Group4 to take yours to gigs at this rate!
[/quote]

Considering their reputation, I'd probably never see it again.
Of course they're called 'G4S' now, to make you think they're a different company... :ph34r:[size=4] [/size]

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1397751041' post='2427104']
I wonder - should I get a refinish on mine, or leave it tatty? Inclined to leave it tatty...
[/quote]

I probably would have left mine alone had the finish been in any way reasonable - and white, of course. ;)

I think the price is a bit optimistic - best offer would be 2/3 of that at best. They are lovely instruments and scarce in unmodded condition but in today's market I'd only pay that for a Marathon 6 or 8 string. Marathon 4s go for between £260 - £490, OK the finish on many is poor but that's one of the quirks of Shergold - still contemplating a Bass Doc refinish on mine! :)

The thing with Andy's basses is that, in my experience, they are all really nice.

Everything works properly, action is good, no dodgy necks, crappy finishes etc.

I always think anything he has for sale has a 'quality assured' warranty :)

This is something you really can't say about most vintage dealers out there (again, purely from my personal experience).

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1397774434' post='2427411']
The thing with Andy's basses is that, in my experience, they are all really nice.
[/quote]

I'm sure of that - I'm not having a pop at him. I [size=4]often peruse his website; there are always some very nice basses on there. Only one reason I don't buy them all, and we know what that is. ;)[/size]

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the thread resurrection, but rather than start a new one... this Modulator went for £706 in the end!! :o

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shergold-Modulator-Bass-Guitar-Hard-Case-VGC-/360921297231?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item540895f14f&nma=true&si=VO%252BkOESrNH1srkJG%252BmLo5fO6gY4%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shergold-Modulator-Bass-Guitar-Hard-Case-VGC-/360921297231?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item540895f14f&nma=true&si=VO%252BkOESrNH1srkJG%252BmLo5fO6gY4%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557[/url]

I was thinking may be £500 - £550 tops, but...

The chap who bought it is in the Facebook Shergold group. He seems pretty pleased with his buy and has owned Shergold instruments previously. Similar to yourself I thought this would've gone for £200 less as this isn't a particularly rare model.