Why become a member? ×

Mark Bass LMII or EA iamp 500

NoLogic69

Hi, I'm new to this game and looking for some advice. I'm after a new amp head and it's come down to a choice of 2, but not sure which to go for. Will it be the LMII or the iamp 500? Just a bit worried that the iamp might be a bit sterile sounding, and my worry with the LMII is the lack of level control on the DI. I understand the Mark Bass to be a nice warm sounding amp, which is what I'm looking for, but not sure about the iamp 500, although it does have some great features. All advice is very welcome....... Cheers!

[quote name='NoLogic69' post='239610' date='Jul 14 2008, 10:59 PM']...my worry with the LMII is the lack of level control on the DI.[/quote]

I have never needed a level control on a DI. It only takes a small tweak of the EQ to take most amps from sterile to warm and vice versa. IMO sterile is a word used by bassists who are either too new to the game to know otherwise or too paranoid about their own tone to trust in a transparent amp to produce fat bass.

Alex

I've been playing guitar for 13 odd years, and would consider myself fairly knowlegable when it comes to guitar amps. I only started playing bass about 6 months ago, initially to help out in a friends band when their bass player left with gigs booked! After playing half a dozen or so gigs, the position has become permanent and I need some decent amplification. I am the first to admit I know nothing about bass amps. I live in Carlisle and we are lucky enough to have Overwater based here. They have looked after and set up my guitars from day one. I tried an iamp 500 there and really liked it and the guys also advised me to have a look at the Mark Bass stuff, which I have and liked. Mark Bass is cheaper and easier to find second hand but I was concerned that if I tweak the volume on stage, will it affect the front of house because of the lack of DI control? Anyways, just after some friendly advice as to what you knowlegable people know about either amp and which you think is the best for the money. Cheers..... Mario.

There are other MarkBass heads - the R500 is very popular for tube warmth but dont know what the DI is like. I use a Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 that has a switchable DI pre/post (and line/mic and ground lift). Lots of amps have DI that is switchable pre/post - pretty sure my EBS was. Presume small lightweight is a given then the Eden WT260 is worth a look. There are some other Class D amps coming soon from GK and EBS.

[quote name='NoLogic69' post='240282' date='Jul 15 2008, 06:46 PM']if I tweak the volume on stage, will it affect the front of house because of the lack of DI control? Anyways, just after some friendly advice as to what you knowlegable people know about either amp and which you think is the best for the money. Cheers..... Mario.[/quote]
Shouldn't do if you tweak the master volume. Don't touch the gain though. The DI is post gain and (switchable) eq, pre master.

Edited by tombboy

Remember the DI is line level and not mic level.
This can make a difference if you just plug a xlr to xlr in and put in it a mic input on a desk.
If the desk doesn't have a pad or you cant turn the gain down far enough you can use a xlr - jack adaptor and go in via the line in on that channel.

There is a jumper inside the LMII and if you move it you can set the XLR to pre EQ. On the SA450 there is a switch on the outside.

Ive got both a LMII and SA450 and i would recommend the SA450 because of the extra EQ.