Why become a member? ×

Taking my Bass on an outing!

SaxyBassist

[quote name='rk7' timestamp='1398689061' post='2436546']
Good Luck (wo)man. You'll love it. It's what your bass is for, after all.

Have a blast!

RK
[/quote]

I will thanks :)

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1398689613' post='2436552']
You'll be fine :)... take ear plugs....
[/quote]

Cheers :) Yep got the ear plugs - as a saxophonist I'm used to very noisy band members! :lol: ;)

[quote name='madshadows' timestamp='1398691116' post='2436579']
Good luck and have fun :)

John
[/quote]

Will do thanks :)

So much better than I thought it would thanks guys!!

We played various blues, Stormy Monday, Rock me Baby, Red House et al, we did White House, and a funked up jammed blues - very pleased with my own made up funk groove! Stuff I've never played before - Buffalo Springfield's Hey Stop What's that Sound, some Neill Young numbers that I've never even heard before, pleased I was able to busk them :D

I asked my friends to tell me whether I should carry on and they said definitely and they're up for more jams - drummer said I was pretty good on timing, the guitarist said I played far better than he thought I would from the way I'd been describing my progress! I think I learned more in that one jam than I have done all the time teaching myself at home jamming along to songs and backing tracks. My bass was featherlight - 3 hours and no pain in shoulder! My Promethean Amp - amazing sound for a tiny weeny thing!!! All in all - very enthused :D

Great stuff! Well done.

My pal is in this situation at the moment. He has played guitar for years, but the idea of playing music with others terrifies him. Gonna show him this thread.

Congratulations and again well done!

RK

[URL=http://www.smileyvault.com/][IMG]http://www.smileyvault.com/albums/CBSA/smileyvault-cute-big-smiley-animated-041.gif[/IMG][/URL]

[URL=http://www.smileyvault.com/][IMG]http://www.smileyvault.com/albums/userpics/13049/applause.gif[/IMG][/URL]

[quote name='joeystrange' timestamp='1398762062' post='2437247']
Good job!
Playing with other people is definitely one of the best ways to learn.
Keep it up and every time you'll get better and better and build more and more confidence. You'll be surprised how fast the nerves disappear and it just becomes the norm.
[/quote]

Yes it's the first hurdle out of the way :)

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1398762162' post='2437248']
Great vote of confidence that, having the drummer say you`re good on timing. More jams will only make you even better.
[/quote]

I was in a band with him for 2 years (on my sax) so know him well enough - he will always tell it as it is! I did lose it a couple of times but on the whole he said it was pretty good :)

[quote name='madshadows' timestamp='1398770044' post='2437352']
Well done, sounds like you had a great time, keep it up :)

John
[/quote]

I did! I just kept thinking to myself if Carole Kay can still play then I can do this :D :D

[quote name='rk7' timestamp='1398771176' post='2437371']
Great stuff! Well done.

My pal is in this situation at the moment. He has played guitar for years, but the idea of playing music with others terrifies him. Gonna show him this thread.

Congratulations and again well done!

RK
[/quote]

Yes he must go for it! do show him - I've put it off for 3 years wish I'd done it sooner :rolleyes: