Why become a member? ×

NCD - Phil Jones stuff long lost friends reunited!

Diablo

Basschat is bad. It creates within me an unfathomable and irrational desire for stuff. Especially the For Sale section which I now promise myself to try and avoid browsing.

A month or two ago I was partaking in a quiet browse when a PJB Six-Pak combo was on offer. Two days later it was in my truck and going home. Then I decided it was not loud enough so I hacked up my old Laney and used it as an extension cab, which was nice. But, it was always in the back of my mind that PJBAS was calling. Low and behold an 8B cab comes up, but due to wiring differences does not work with a 6-Pak, or it would have been mine. A day later a 9B comes up, it has to be mine! Picked it up today and was talking with Simon who said, "I used to have a 6-pak, sold it though". Turns out it was the very same 6-Pak I now own so the original cab and combo are now reunited in noisy bliss. Rattle your eyeballs with vol on 7, yes please:

[attachment=161611:20140429_185424 (Large).jpg]

First gig for the setup this Friday, can't wait!

Cheers,
Rich

[quote name='Diablo' timestamp='1398795524' post='2437712']
Basschat is bad. It creates within me an unfathomable and irrational desire for stuff. Especially the For Sale section which I now promise myself to try and avoid browsing.

A month or two ago I was partaking in a quiet browse when a PJB Six-Pak combo was on offer. Two days later it was in my truck and going home. Then I decided it was not loud enough so I hacked up my old Laney and used it as an extension cab, which was nice. But, it was always in the back of my mind that PJBAS was calling. Low and behold an 8B cab comes up, but due to wiring differences does not work with a 6-Pak, or it would have been mine. A day later a 9B comes up, it has to be mine! Picked it up today and was talking with Simon who said, "I used to have a 6-pak, sold it though". Turns out it was the very same 6-Pak I now own so the original cab and combo are now reunited in noisy bliss. Rattle your eyeballs with vol on 7, yes please:

[attachment=161611:20140429_185424 (Large).jpg]

First gig for the setup this Friday, can't wait!

Cheers,
Rich
[/quote]

Similar to my DB/EUB rig (M500, 6b and 9b), which is surprisingly good for EB as well. PJB ain't the loudest but the tone is extremely pleasing.

Re 8b/9bI really don't get the impedence thing though, surely in the real world impedance is frequency dependent so you should be able to use a 'divisible by 4 cab' with a 'divisible by 3 cab' in practice if not in theory?

[quote]Re 8b/9bI really don't get the impedence thing though, surely in the real world impedance is frequency dependent so you should be able to use a 'divisible by 4 cab' with a 'divisible by 3 cab' in practice if not in theory? [/quote]

I think (correct me someone who knows better) the 6-pak, 6B, 9B, 12b etc are all wired with 3 speakers in series then these banks connected in parallel. The 8B, 16 and 24 speaker cabs are all wired with 4 speakers in series, then these banks in parallel. So if you connect up say an 8B and a 9B you would not get the correct balance between the cabs as one will be running four speakers and one running 3 speakers off in effect the same voltage across that series bank. You need to stick with either the 6-9, or 8-16-24 and not mix them for best performance. I think...

Cheers,
Rich

Edited by Diablo