Why become a member? ×

help !!!

jme

hi guys , can anyone help with this problem , my favourite gigging bass is a dean ,it has emg pick-up with an internal pre amp(least i think thats wot it is) an each time i replace the battery it lasts about 5 or 6 songs (half hour max) before its drained an the sound completly drops out of my bass, can i just rip out the pre amp an wire the pickups without it ???

There must be a wiring fault somewhere, that is spectacular drain. An average alkaline battery delivers 565mAh, so to drain in half an hour, you're pulling over an amp out of it! According to EMG specs - an EMG BTC control (2 band EQ) drains 600uA@9V, and a single EMG pickup draws around 80uA. That's MICROamps. You might have different stuff in your bass, but you see where I'm coming from here. Something's definitely not right.

Are you using good quality alkaline 9V batteries? Is the battery warm when you pull it out once it's finished?

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1398870053' post='2438483']
There must be a wiring fault somewhere, that is spectacular drain. An average alkaline battery delivers 565mAh, so to drain in half an hour, you're pulling over an amp out of it! According to EMG specs - an EMG BTC control (2 band EQ) drains 600uA@9V, and a single EMG pickup draws around 80uA. That's MICROamps. You might have different stuff in your bass, but you see where I'm coming from here. Something's definitely not right.

Are you using good quality alkaline 9V batteries? Is the battery warm when you pull it out once it's finished?
[/quote]
+1 Convert it to passive and get rid of the battery problems forever. IMHO

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1398923305' post='2438989']
[/quote]

If the pickup is an active EMG then it'll need to be replaced too if the OP wants to go fully passive with no batteries.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1398923305' post='2438989']
[/quote]
[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1398925771' post='2438998']
If the pickup is an active EMG then it'll need to be replaced too if the OP wants to go fully passive with no batteries.
[/quote]

Yes. The battery is [i]indicating[/i] that there is a problem - not the problem itself.

Get the bass checked out by a proper luthier or technician (unless you understand the electronics yourself - which you probably don't or you wouldn't be asking this question!) :)