Why become a member? ×

OMG Not another 'Pedal Order' Topic! :)

Bottle

Hi Chaps

Bit tongue-in-cheek but it is a bit about pedal order with a sub-question about overdrives :)

1) I currently run my bass into Pedalboard A which has a SansAmp and a DigiTech Bad Monkey in parallel. The outputs go into a crossover and are low-summed into a PA power amp driving my 2x112 stack (thunderous lows as well!). I've set up the SansAmp and the Bad Monkey for pre-amp, EQ and level and 'always-on' rather than any major drive as I want the lows relatively clean.

I send the balanced high-passed output of the Bad Monkey side of the crossover to my second 'Pedalboard' (just a plank of wood at the moment :) ). Chain goes something like this:

[i]High-passed output > Palmer D'Accapo reamper > EHX Bass Big Muff > Boss CEB-3 Chorus > Line 6 110 Combo amp[/i]

I'm looking to see what people do with the effects order: Fuzz into Chorus or t'other way around.

2) Told you it was also a bit about drive as well. I'm looking for a guitar-type OD to go infront of the Big Muff and I wondered what people recommend. On my shortlist is the ED Speaker Cranker and the Joyo Ultimate Drive so I can punch in OD as and when I like it.

Order would be something like this: [i]OD > Fuzz > Chorus[/i]

What are people's opinions on running OD into fuzz or fuzz into OD, or putting the OD last in the chain after the chorus?

Thanks for keeping up with this one! :D

Ian

Complex chain you've got going on there!

I like chorus last, distortion will make the effect less pronounced, but then again you might want that!

The Bass Big Muff works really well with a dirty overdrive on front. I do this and set the BBM to dry mode so I in effect have overdrive mixed with boosted fuzz. Some fuzzes don't respond well with an overdrive in front, and same goes for some overdrives, so it really depends on the pedals in question.

About those ODs - I didn't like the Joyo UD on bass, but I think it would work well in your application where low end loss is not an issue. It does sound harsh compared to some other pedals though, so depends if that's what you want. I have a Speaker Cranker and love it - although it's not very flexible with it's single gain knob. I use it as a dirty boost near the end of my chain. I use an SFT in front of my BBM, both that and the BB Preamp work really well in front of it in my experience - but you're already sending it a dirty high-passed signal, so it's hard to judge what would work best in your setup!

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1398950748' post='2439322']
Complex chain you've got going on there!

I like chorus last, distortion will make the effect less pronounced, but then again you might want that!

The Bass Big Muff works really well with a dirty overdrive on front. I do this and set the BBM to dry mode so I in effect have overdrive mixed with boosted fuzz. Some fuzzes don't respond well with an overdrive in front, and same goes for some overdrives, so it really depends on the pedals in question.

About those ODs - I didn't like the Joyo UD on bass, but I think it would work well in your application where low end loss is not an issue. It does sound harsh compared to some other pedals though, so depends if that's what you want. I have a Speaker Cranker and love it - although it's not very flexible with it's single gain knob. I use it as a dirty boost near the end of my chain. I use an SFT in front of my BBM, both that and the BB Preamp work really well in front of it in my experience - but you're already sending it a dirty high-passed signal, so it's hard to judge what would work best in your setup!
[/quote]
Thanks Dannybouy

I see you're in Cambridgeshire too, whereabouts are you located?

Lots of good stuff in there - I'm trying Fuzz into Chorus then on to my small practice amp, which doesn't need to be cranked as much, and it seems to cut through really well. I mostly want the OD to give it a bit 'more' (harmonic 'girth' is the only way I can describe it) when dropped in front of the BBM. The high-passed signal going to the pedal chain is quite clean with just a hint of drive underneath, so the OD just has to give it a kick without overtaking the fuzz. That was why I thought the Speaker Cranker might work as it is a relatively low gain OD I believe. The Joyo is a bit of an unknown to me but gets some love on here and Talkbass and some *gasp* guitard forums :P

I think I will go with OD > Fuzz > Chorus

As you've also pointed out, one can use the Dry mode to add some of the underlying OD'd signal to the fuzz before it hits the chorus. Interesting times ahead :)

Cheers,
Ian

Planning on putting together my own board this year and I want to make some simple, but useful, pedals of my own. A looper, amp switch pedal and an effect order switcher.

The order switcher is nice and simple. I am sure that if you didn't want to make one for yourself then there would be a company that would make one for you.

I found this diagram for it.

Thought I'd mention it in case anyone might find it useful. The hardest part might be finding a 4PDT footswitch, but if you're not bothered about the indicator LEDs then you can get away with a 3PDT switch. Which would mean you wouldn't have to power it, too.

Edited by KingBollock

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1398959277' post='2439468']
I'm in Little Paxton near St Neots, you?

You should try a guitar amp sim out on the high end signal too - maybe the Joyo British Sound for a Marshall-in-a-box, or the Tech21 VT Bass or Oxford!
[/quote]
I'm currently in Soham, so not a million miles away :) I like the amp sim models but I'm wondering if i can score a low-wattage guitar amp, say 15W and a small cab - i'm guessing not too hard to find second-hand

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1398960288' post='2439480']
Planning on putting together my own board this year and I want to make some simple, but useful, pedals of my own. A looper, amp switch pedal and an effect order switcher.

The order switcher is nice and simple. I am sure that if you didn't want to make one for yourself then there would be a company that would make one for you.

I found this diagram for it.

Thought I'd mention it in case anyone might find it useful. The hardest part might be finding a 4PDT footswitch, but if you're not bothered about the indicator LEDs then you can get away with a 3PDT switch. Which would mean you wouldn't have to power it, too.
[/quote]
That's bang tidee :D

Great idea and really versatile. Thanks for posting that KB

Lil' update time - been mostly trawling through YT videos and one thing that immediately comes across is how aggressive sounding the Joyo UD is on guitar. I mean it's a real gainy monster and doesn't do 'clean' very well. Most of the demos I've seen have had the gain on low or minimum and it still bites really hard.

I'm actually shying away from it and maybe opting for something a little lower-gain and tamer (hence my suggestion of the ED Speaker Cranker). Joyo do a Vintage Overdrive which seems (to my ears anyway) to be a lot less aggressive in the mids and a little more controllable. What I mean is that the Gain control seems to cover a more useful range of operation without it running off into high-gain nasty aggressive OD.

Obviously videos on the 'Tube don't convey everything but from some of the pedal shootouts I can see how the Vintage Drive might work better in my setup. And it's considerable cheaper than the Speaker Cranker! I've seen it on Amazon for under £30 so I may well pull the trigger on it anyway. I'll keep you posted

Ian

• 5 weeks later...

More updates!

Have scored a pair of Joyo pedals from member Jus Lukin - very nice bloke to deal with and a very reasonable deal on both the Ulitmate Drive and Vintage OD :) so I have both to A/B now :D

Plus a new Diago Micropower power pack ordered from Amazon has just dropped through the letterbox so now I can finally separate both pedal boards

Ian