Why become a member? ×

Status Round wounds

Count Bassy

Hi, I followed exactly the same route. I love their halfs and decided to try both their roundwounds and flats.

Status Roundwounds? When new they felt odd sounded over bright to me. Initially I was so disappointing that I took them off my favorite bass and but rather than waste them I stuck them on another bass that I have lying around to noodle on. Then I played them in for a while and after about 3 weeks absolutely loved them so I put them back on my favorite bass. I find them stable with a nice sound...unlike some previous strings that I had, which sounded great when I put them on and then quickly changed to sound pretty dead and unresponsive.

Don't expect to be blown away by them initially and allow time to "run them in".

[i]Note: I had a similar experience with the Status flats. I tried them on my EMG powered LTD and thought they were inferior to the half rounds. I them left them lying around until I got my Warwick and put them on that because I didn't have an alternative and was surprised by to find that they sound great.[/i]

Of course its all subjective anyway :)

I've used nowt but the Premium Round Wounds for the last 5 years. Love them. They feel great, they last well, they sound good to me.
Service from Dawn is excellent.
I know nowt, but in the probably 300+ gigs I've done with them, they have been great workhorse strings.

I used to use the roundwounds on headless basses - as good as anything else on the market as far as I'm concerned - great tone, long lasting and available in 30 gauge - trying to find strings as light as this from any other manufacturers is an absolute pain (in the past Mark at Bass Direct has broken a 6 string set for me).

As Karlfer says, the service is great and Dawn is always really helpful. I also like the idea of supporting small businesses from the UK...

Yup, the roundcore on my 5er. Since having a fiver, I've had strings by Fodera, Dunlop, The EB Cobalts and the Status. The Status are my favourite - really rich and even. The B is absolutely fine, although saying that, all of a sudden my B seems to be having trouble intonating (after nine months), so I'll be putting another set on soon.