Why become a member? ×

rotosound low beeee

aende

To be honest "just dead" describes exactly how I felt when I used Rotosound strings.

I used them for an hour and they sounded more dull (read: awful) than the dead strings I had just replaced! Rotos get a lot of praise though!

That's not my experience, I've got the RS 665LDN nickels on my 5 string (45 65 85 105 130) but I find I get better definition from the low B by playing it close to the bridge (between the pickup and bridge on my Curbow 5).

IME the only strings that Rotosound can make with any consistency are 34" scale standard gauge 4-string sets. Anything that falls outside of that specification is pretty much hit and miss. Back in the 90s before I discovered other string brands I would regularly send back Rotosound low B strings as being unsuitable. IIRC about 1 in 4 were ok.

TBH these days low B can still be a problematic string on many basses especially those with bolt-on necks. It's a question of finding the string that suits both the bass you are fitting it to and your playing technique. Unless you get lucky it can be a long and expensive search.