Why become a member? ×

Heavy Strings...which bass

lowlandtrees

I like heavy strings but the last couple of basses that I had did not /do not like em....Rick 4001 and MM SUB. Was thinking of getting a precision as I like the sound...will that take heavy strings or should I be looking elsewhere? Don't really understand neck profiles...should I be looking at a certain profile number?

What do you mean by 'heavy' strings? Do you mean high tension? What 'heavy' strings did the Rickenbacker and the MM not like? What do you mean by those basses not liking the 'heavy' strings?

A Precision bass can cope with high tension strings but generally speaking so should any bass with a working truss rod.

How heavy are we talking here? I've never had a problem using .110s with standard tuning on any bass including a Rick, In fact thinking about it, I briefly tried stringing the Rick with .130s (I think) and tuning to B, like the bottom 4 strings of a 5 string. No problems there either, although obviously it need setting up for the extra tension.

[quote name='lowlandtrees' timestamp='1399706560' post='2446782']
I like heavy strings but the last couple of basses that I had did not /do not like em....Rick 4001 and MM SUB. Was thinking of getting a precision as I like the sound...will that take heavy strings or should I be looking elsewhere? Don't really understand neck profiles...should I be looking at a certain profile number?
[/quote]

Are you confident when it comes to setting your basses up? In other words are you used to messing about with the truss rod and bridge saddles in order to cope with any changes that may occur due to a difference in combined string tension? As others have said, as long as the truss rod works you shouldn't be having problems unless you've not bothered to adjust the instrument following a string change.

I'm not a heavy gauge string user but I've certainly seen 50 - 110's used on lots of basses without any problems.

They will generally require a revised setup because they tend to have more tension and will cause the neck to bow a little. I've only ever once seen a, 34" scale, bass that couldn't handle 50-110's and that turned out to be due to a weak neck and damaged truss rod.

[quote name='Musky' timestamp='1399707247' post='2446793']
How heavy are we talking here? I've never had a problem using .110s with standard tuning on any bass including a Rick, In fact thinking about it, I briefly tried stringing the Rick with .130s (I think) and tuning to B, like the bottom 4 strings of a 5 string. No problems there either, although obviously it need setting up for the extra tension.
[/quote]
Tuning BEAD usually means less tension than EADG because a B string is commonly less tense than a G string.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1399720348' post='2446954']
Tuning BEAD usually means less tension than EADG because a B string is commonly less tense than a G string.
[/quote]

This is quite true, it's usually the D and A strings with the highest tension.

[/quote]
[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1399724193' post='2447022']
This is quite true, it's usually the D and A strings with the highest tension.
[/quote]

Depends on your choice of gauge surely? The 'standard' offerings e.g. 45/65/85/105 definitely have this, but if you go for the balanced tensions sets (or just buy the right gauge singles) then this can be engineered out.

There is of course then the compliance issue :ph34r:

[quote name='ead' timestamp='1399729397' post='2447095']
Depends on your choice of gauge surely? The 'standard' offerings e.g. 45/65/85/105 definitely have this, but if you go for the balanced tensions sets (or just buy the right gauge singles) then this can be engineered out.

There is of course then the compliance issue :ph34r:
[/quote]
Yes, that's why I said 'usually' and 'commonly'.

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1399718173' post='2446924']
I'm not a heavy gauge string user but I've certainly seen 50 - 110's used on lots of basses without any problems.

They will generally require a revised setup because they tend to have more tension and will cause the neck to bow a little.
[/quote]

Yep, when I put them on my Precision, a quarter-turn anti-clockwise on the truss-rod was needed to compensate for the extra tension. Leave to settle overnight then re-tweak if necessary.

Heavy strings are unplayable for me as you need strong hands or a heavy action,
both of which aren't condusive but a decent neck with an adjustment should be able to cope.

Old Fenders and Musicman's usually have very steady necks..whereas the thinner profile
ones are more prone to movement.
You should expect a neck tweak twice a year as you go through seasons...anything less is a
nice bonus and testament of a decent neck...from a stability POV... it might have the profile
of a bass ball batt tho' :lol:

I use the D'addario balanced tension 120-50s on my late seventies Precision, as well as a Vigier Excess. No issues with either them. Most basses should be able to handle heavier gauge, downtuned strings. You just need to set up up the bass for the strings and tuning. Just throwing on a heavier set and hoping will often give poor results.

I am definitely not confident with setting up especially with the twin rod on the Rick...it looked like an old english long bow with the 105-50s. I put flats on and the action was perfect. The SUB appeared to twist. Maybe get someone who can set up to look at it. Would like an old precision anyway

[quote name='lowlandtrees' timestamp='1399737968' post='2447191']
I am definitely not confident with setting up especially with the twin rod on the Rick...it looked like an old english long bow with the 105-50s. I put flats on and the action was perfect. The SUB appeared to twist. Maybe get someone who can set up to look at it. Would like an old precision anyway
[/quote]

Rickenbacker basses are staple of the stoner/doom scene, so they really should be able to manage with bigger strings. If in doubt, just put it into a shop for a set up, or take some time out to figure out how to do it yourself. It will be worth it.

[/quote]
Good point actually. The lack of tension on the B string was why it only stayed on briefly. :lol: