Why become a member? ×

odb3 mod

aende

Hi all,

i was finding my boss odb3 a bit to shrill and basically, not a nice useable distortion. Roll on a mod;

c10: 1uf
r31: 1k
c8: .001uf
for more smoother compressed tone, change d2 and d3 to 1n4148's

the above components are available on ebay for about £5 in total. I used a sprague .001 uf capacitor (as used in guitars fir tone controls)

anyway, i am no professional electronics whizz and my general soldering is 'okay' - but it was dead easy to find the components on the board desolder and solder in the new bits.

the pedal has gone from shrill and a difficult to eq to sounding like a tube amp that has been turned up. Much softer, more compression and 'phatter'....

a huge difference for a couple of quid. Pm me and I will send you component links.

I've got two of these pedals and a Monte Allums mod kit: http://www.monteallums.com/pedal_mods.html

TB thread on it [url="http://www.talkbass.com/threads/monte-allums-boss-odb-3-tri-gain-mod-changes-everything.856593/"]here[/url], sounds a bit like [url="https://app.box.com/s/gr8kucdgncp4k2vvaay3"]this[/url]!

Been in my posession for two years now, I guess I should fit it at some point!

[quote name='Meddle' timestamp='1400189408' post='2451751']
However, an ODB3 is never going to be a Darkglass/SVT in a box machine, regardless of how you mod it. In my mind, it is great for that '90s interpretation of heavy bass tones; a clean and bright signal with a hair of fizz on the top. It packs a lot of gain from the off, so it makes sense to blend in a lot of clean to keep it all in check.
[/quote]

Actually, it compares very nicely to the old SVT 450 that I own - it is not too far off and I think that the 1n4148's make a huge difference.......

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1400194142' post='2451811']
Brian posted the mods himself over here and no longer sells the ebook anyway:

[/quote]

I managed to get this little beauty years back:
[attachment=162822:Photo on 16-05-2014 at 17.39.jpg]

Ah-ha! I downloaded a dodgy PDF version but it doesn't have the ODB-3 mods in it - must be an older edition. Does the book have the same mods as these?

[quote]easy mod to make it much nicer:
c10: 1uf
r31: 1k
c8: .001uf
for more smoother compressed tone, change d2 and d3 to 1n4148's[/quote]

From the book:

[quote]
Location Stock value Mod value
C10 .33uf 2.2uf
R31 3.3k 1k
C8 300pf .001uf

change diodes to 1n4148
[/quote]

There's some great mods in this book. I tried a few that sounded awesome. The Boss Tremolo and DOD FX60 chorus mods in particular. But I cocked up changing the foot switches when moving them to better enclosures about 7 years ago and have not got around to sorting them out. :blush:

Edited by bartelby

The 1n4148s do let some clean signal through.
I can't say I've noticed any muddiness and the gain range seems fine.

I'm not sure I changed the capacitors in mine. Only having 2 switches suggests I didn't.