Why become a member? ×

Evolving my sound

Pinball

Hi, As a lapsed guitar player turning to bass after years of doing nothing musically, I have found the whole thing a bit of a journey.
I now have a sound that like. This is has been backed up by recent comments from my band such as "Great bass sound by the way, really smooth bass, that's the bass don't sell or swap that one". [i]Note: This is no doubt down to some technique playing improvements along the way as I still consider myself as a learner.[/i]
Anyway I thought I would highlight what I see as the major changes along the way and would be interested to hear of any similar experiences that others have had.

[i][b]Nov 2012[/b] bought and sold my first basses to record, which was a mystery Peavey, followed by a Schecter Stiletto Custom 4 [/i]

[b][i]2013 [/i][/b]
First amp etc., Ashdown Evo11 and and 115Tcab
Spector legend 4
Spector legend 4 tuned BEAD
[i]Loved the B string so changed to 5's [/i]
Yamaha trb1005, followed by a Spector Lagend 5 and Dean Edge custom 5
[i]Eeek I found that I started to play bass like a lead guitarist so returned to 4's to help me learn to use the fretbourd properly[/i]
Sandberg JM4
Sandberg Umbo
[b]Started playing bass for real in a band :)[/b]
[i]I was really struggling as the Jazzers were not giving me what I wanted live[/i]

Hartke Bass attack: gave more sound control
[i]*Got myself a pedal board although didn't use it much at first[/i]
*Changedamp to my GB Streamliner and 212T set up :)
[i]Jazzers still weren't doing it for me so gave up on them[/i]
Spector legend custom 4...yes better
[i]I was finding I needed the B string so went back to 5's[/i]
LTD/ESP Surveyor 405...even happier :) I realized that 34" 5 strings was good for me

[b]2014[/b]
*I tried different strings and changed all my basses to either half-rounds or flats :)
*EBS Multicomp and started to use a touch of compression live :)
[i]*Bought some other pedals including a wah and chorus which I use occasionally[/i]
Farida HB20 Hypersonic-great
Ibanez SR1300-perfect
*EBS Metaldrive, use most of the time :)
[b]Decided to stick to 5's as I was using the B more and more[/b]
*Ibanez SR3005E...love it :)
*Warwick FNA 5 :)

The starred items are the ones that I mainly use, most of the rest has gone to fund new purchases. Overall I'm very happy with the way it turned out. For me its all about getting the balance of the whole chain right.

A big thanks to all those who answered my numerous questions on this group and helped me get to where I want to be. Cheers!

Edited by Pinball

It's a fun journey isn't it! Surprised to see the metaldrive in there, do you use it as a subtle nearly-always-on overdrive?

Over the years I've gravitated towards passive 5 string Yamaha BBs and vintage style amps (Orange Terror Bass and sealed Ampeg SVT210AVs). I've been buying various dirt pedals over the years only to sell them on again, always returning to my favourites the Catalinbread SFT, Team Awesome Fuzz Machine, Bass Big Muff and Boss ODB-3. I've been on a pedal spree lately though and am hanging onto the Darkglass Vintage Deluxe and IdiotBox Blower Box, so I now have six shades of dirt at my disposal, all of them unique in their own little ways!

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1399890331' post='2448590']
It's a fun journey isn't it! Surprised to see the metaldrive in there, do you use it as a subtle nearly-always-on overdrive?
[/quote]

I agree it doesn't make much sense but you nailed it!
I think that anything with the word "metal" in it is a bit of a turn of for many including me. I was watching for a 2nd hand EBS Multidrive on here but saw this in a sale. Three things made me give it a try.
1. It was in a sale so was half the price of a Multidrive :)
2. My ears suggested it had very similar tones to the Multidrive.It's not as subtle but I just don't turn the dials up as far.
3. I read a discussion on here that suggested that many subtle pedal effects are either lost or a waste of time in many live shows

I'm playing rock music so it works well. I leave it on most of the time.As I like EBS pedals so I played safe I guess. I'm very protective of loosing bottom end and find them good.

I'm mainly using finger style and flats and slide around for a smooth but percussive sound. unfotunately I don't really have good live examples on line yet

Edited by Pinball

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1399917496' post='2448962']
Was it the Warwick or the Ibanez your bandmates liked?
[/quote]

I have only used the Warwick for a session session with the drummer and am still using the Ibanez with the full band. I like them both but see no reason to change