Why become a member? ×

Overwater Custom Basses

Musicman20

Overwater Basses

I’ve never seen or heard an Overwater bass in the flesh. I do find this quite bizarre, considering how big I personally see the name of Overwater.

What are peoples views of these basses?

When I’ve been looking at the ‘next step’, as in what basses might be right for me when I’ve realised some of the everyday gear is becoming quite expensive, I look at:
[list]
[*]Sadowsky NYC ;
[*]Overwater;
[*]Shuker;
[*]ACG.
[/list]

The Sadowsky J and P style basses are stunning, but I really don’t think I need to get just another Jazz or Precision bass. I think it might be time for something completely different.

ACG have some fab designs. Shuker seems to be going strong, but I’m not sure I could handle the year turnaround as I guess with Shuker, it really is from scratch.

Overwater basses don’t seem to be the hot topic at the moment, and I’m quite shocked they aren’t more popular on here.

To me, looking at something like the SDS bass they designed, its like a Fodera, but less expensive, still very high quality, and still aiming for that type of instrument. Eg, pretty unique, high quality woods.

I didn’t really take much interest in Scott’s lessons previously, but I’ve been checking out his playing and I must say his Overwater sounds great.

Any comments/views would be great.

IMO once you've gone beyond sub £100 Fender clones you can't really compare basses with each other as they are all different. They either suit what you want in terms of looks sound and playability or they don't.

When you start talking about hand crafted instruments comparing them becomes even less meaningful.

The only way to know if they are the one(s) for you and worth the money is to play them and decide for yourself.

As for Overwater IMO (and it is only my opinion) the Original shaped ones are great - a Thunderbird style bass for people who like the basic style but can't get on with the actual Gibson concept. The later Overwaters are much more versatile instruments but I don't find that they have the certain something that for me makes the Original so interesting.

ACGs are good if you like the shapes and the Filter Pre-amp is something special.

If haven't yet played a Shuker that I even remotely liked.

All IMO etc. YMMV.

If you are looking for a good UK-made bass there are literally dozens of luthiers to choose from. If you consider the whole world there are hundreds. All of them make great basses - they just might not be the right one for you and that's what counts.

Edited by BigRedX

I had a Custom Overwater Jazz - probably the best Jazz I've ever played - other bassplayer friends of mine say that I should never had sold it. Neck was fantastic, smooth and fast, superb electronics and p/ups and well balanced as you'd expect from a jazz. It took me ages to sell - maybe because it was bright green - thinking about it maybe it was a sign that I shouldn't have. I would certainly buy it back if it came back up for sale.

I would have no hesitation in recommending them.

I currently have a fretless Shuker Jazz and an ACG - you're welcome to try them but I'm sure the distance might be an issue..

Edited by TheGreek

I have 2 OW customs, a J5 and a PJ5 and they are simply the best instruments I've ever played. I've had a great relationship with OW since 2006 and whilst I will always have a yearning for something super high end (Fodera AJ) I really can't see me going anywhere else for my bass needs.
I also have 2 Fender J4's and a Bass Mods K6 and they are all great instruments but the Overwaters are always my go-to basses.

I've owned a couple of Overwater's, one was a second hand Progress, the other was a custom made fretless Perception, both were very nice basses but to me they didn't really have any soul, a weird thing to say I know, nothing wrong with them I just didn't feel the love. I'd like to try one of their 5 string Jazz Basses.

As stated above you probably need to try as many Luthiers work as you can to see what floats your boat.

I've had three Shukers, two Overwaters, and a good play on several ACGs at Drew's Bass Lounge. As far as quality goes, they're all superbly built instruments, definitely a 'next step' from Fender, MMs, etc (and I've had a fair few good examples of those, too) - whether that's a step in the right direction is a very personal issue.

The Overwater pickups and EQ are too modern and 'hifi' for me, but I love the shape of the Perceptions - I owned one twice, as I regretted selling it the first time, but when I got it back I quickly remembered why it wouldn't stick. Drew has a gorgeous Original shape in at the moment, but again, it's the pickups and EQ which ruled it out for me.

ACGs I like as an instrument, the filter pre is extraordinary, and an acquired taste (not mine), but ultimately the shapes aren't for me, the nearest I get is the Jazz-ish ones, but I can't be doing with Jazzes or Jazz-inspired copies in any form.

I love the Shuker Horn shape, though like you I didn't want to wait a year for a custom build (from anyone). I picked one of Jon's In Stock basses, and Jon made a new neck from scratch for me, fitted the pups and EQ I wanted and finished it off in less than a month. It's fantastic, and as an instrument a world away from (and above) the brand new 4003 I'd briefly owned just before it.

I'd say of the three, only Overwaters have 'a sound' because of their pups and EQ being fairly standard across a range (their 'copies' of Jazzes notwithstanding), the other two are so personalised and varied that you'll find completely different basses by both luthiers. They are handmade to a spec, after all, and though the customer is always right, sometimes they result in some fairly, erm, idiosyncratic results...if you're lucky, you'll find one that suits you out of the trap...

To reiterate, though: all the basses I've owned or played by Overwater, ACG or Shuker have been superb quality instruments. I've also got an Alembic, and I'd say they were all at least as well made.

Edited by Muzz

I have a couple of their fretless 5ers..I tried many 'nice' things over the years but a |Progress III was the first thing to really make my insides jump!
The Progress III is, as some have said, pretty modern sounding. Could the name hold a clue? Versatile, mind.. put black nylons on there and it's the closest I've had to an EUB tone from a bass guitar. The EQ section is powerful in a very musical way. Often grab this one for more acoustic-type gigs.
The Jazz - Swamp Ash body - is a monster! A heavy bass, but excellently balanced once on the strap. Punchy as you like, came with an East pre which was amazingly good but just had toooo many options so I took it down to an EMG BTS with passive/active switch. This bass is my go-to for the more rocky end of the spectrum.
I think you could say I like them!

Edit, forgotten comment: Neither of mine has any of the deluxe options, but they have a certain quality about them.. nice pieces of wood put together just-so by folks who really know what they're doing.

Edited by hubrad

I've looked longingly at this fretted J5.. if I was in the market for such a bass it would have been mine weeks ago!

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/229012-overwater-j5-natural-24-fret-now-with-video-clip/page__p__2440096__hl__overwater__fromsearch__1#entry2440096

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1399981982' post='2449531']
I've had three Shukers, two Overwaters, and a good play on several ACGs at Drew's Bass Lounge. As far as quality goes, they're all superbly built instruments, definitely a 'next step' from Fender, MMs, etc (and I've had a fair few good examples of those, too) - whether that's a step in the right direction is a very personal issue.

The Overwater pickups and EQ are too modern and 'hifi' for me, but I love the shape of the Perceptions - I owned one twice, as I regretted selling it the first time, but when I got it back I quickly remembered why it wouldn't stick. Drew has a gorgeous Original shape in at the moment, but again, it's the pickups and EQ which ruled it out for me.

ACGs I like as an instrument, the filter pre is extraordinary, and an acquired taste (not mine), but ultimately the shapes aren't for me, the nearest I get is the Jazz-ish ones, but I can't be doing with Jazzes or Jazz-inspired copies in any form.

I love the Shuker Horn shape, though like you I didn't want to wait a year for a custom build (from anyone). I picked one of Jon's In Stock basses, and Jon made a new neck from scratch for me, fitted the pups and EQ I wanted and finished it off in less than a month. It's fantastic, and as an instrument a world away from (and above) the brand new 4003 I'd briefly owned just before it.

I'd say of the three, only Overwaters have 'a sound' because of their pups and EQ being fairly standard across a range (their 'copies' of Jazzes notwithstanding), the other two are so personalised and varied that you'll find completely different basses by both luthiers. They are handmade to a spec, after all, and though the customer is always right, sometimes they result in some fairly, erm, idiosyncratic results...if you're lucky, you'll find one that suits you out of the trap...

To reiterate, though: all the basses I've owned or played by Overwater, ACG or Shuker have been superb quality instruments. I've also got an Alembic, and I'd say they were all at least as well made.
[/quote]

Interesting! Thanks...yes I am also in the position of liking the look of the 4003, but I can't see myself parting with £1650+ for what I know I will probably be a little disappointed with.