Why become a member? ×

what is a tweeter?

mrhectic

[b]I was wondering what is a tweeter, why do you need a tweeter?[/b] :huh:

and will a 12'' speaker be high enough? I dont do slapping or popin etc, just the occasional high notes.

I know im being pretty general, but I have no clue about techniqual/or equipment sides of things.#

help much appriciated! :)
MrHectic

A tweeter is just a small kind of loudspeaker designed to reproduce higher frequencies. It's personal preference really as to what sound you want. Generally for a brighter sound you need tweeters, for a dub reggae sound you don't.

A 12" bass driver won't be that good for anything above 5kHz.

Hamster

well i just got my hands on an aguilar db112NT, and its brillant i think in the low end, but i have a feeling it lacks in the high end. Im going to wait till saturday when im at the rehersal studio, so i can properly play about with it.

hmm...im thinking maybe i should have got the verison with a tweeter... :) ....

What amp are you driving it with? and what bass do you use?

Most modern speakers be it 8, 10, 12 or 15 will be able to reproduce a very bright sound without the additional tweeter, so have a play around with EQ and maybe some new strings.

Tweeters add a sort of "sparkle" or "sheen" to the sound which to some equates to unwanted fret or finger noise!

[quote name='ste_m3' post='242150' date='Jul 17 2008, 09:01 PM']What amp are you driving it with? and what bass do you use?

Most modern speakers be it 8, 10, 12 or 15 will be able to reproduce a very bright sound without the additional tweeter, so have a play around with EQ and maybe some new strings.

Tweeters add a sort of "sparkle" or "sheen" to the sound which to some equates to unwanted fret or finger noise![/quote]

Im using an ashdown evo 500, with a fender jazz. Im still trying to get the right EQ's with the ashdown, which is a nightmare to sort out (combination of sliders and knobs). This weekend however, im definetly going to sit and try play with the EQ's.

Ohh! good idea about the strings, these strings are pretty old now!

[quote name='Hamster' post='242151' date='Jul 17 2008, 09:02 PM']Get an Aguilar db112 with a tweeter and put them in a vertical stack with the db112NT below :)

Hamster[/quote]

hmmm, i might have to do that if things dont work out on saturday. I'l have to start saving again...

[quote name='Hamster' post='242135' date='Jul 17 2008, 03:48 PM']A tweeter is just a small kind of loudspeaker designed to reproduce higher frequencies. It's personal preference really as to what sound you want. Generally for a brighter sound you need tweeters, for a dub reggae sound you don't.

A 12" bass driver won't be that good for anything above 5kHz.

Hamster[/quote]A 12 isn't much good above 2kHz, irrespective of what's claimed, as those claims are for on-axis response. Move off-axis by two feet and the high end disappears. The trouble is that tweeters don't go to 2kHz. Most don't go below 4kHz. What you end up with is no mids and a lot of hiss.
What works best with a 12 is a midrange that covers up to 5-6kHz or so with uniform off-axis response. But it's a more expensive option, so very few manufacturers offer it.

Edited by Bill Fitzmaurice

i've had a few cabs with tweeters and i've either found myself switching them off or rewiring the cab to take them out of the circuit.

not to be captain counter-argument, but to me they're a total waste of time - all you're going to hear with them is hiss and annoying brittle-sounding top end.

ymmv

ive been playing the cab on its own at home at low levels. its really bassy! great! but im still feeling it lacks at the higher end. I turned it up for a second, and it was a little better, so im hoping its because im playing it so quitely and havent got the right eq setting just yet.

see how it goes tommorrow!