Why become a member? ×

Tribute bands

Roger2611

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1400948380' post='2458477']
What about a Milli Vanilli tribute act, or Boney M?

Would it be wrong to mime to songs that were mimed by the original acts that were supposed to have performed them , but in fact didn't? You would in fact be being more authentic by performing to a backing track created by someone else.
[/quote]

Re Boney M.
Marciano Barrett, Maizie? and Liza Mitchell did record the tracks. (Although they seemed to have mimed them as a career)
Bobby Farrell did not record the male vocal, that was writer and producer Frank Farion,
who being White, German and ugly, did not quite fit the image with the girls for TV, Stage and Promotions.

[quote name='Prosebass' timestamp='1401066571' post='2459766']
Next up someone will be telling us what a wonderful expressive artform karaoke is!
[/quote]

Well, karaoke is just singing along to a backing track isn't? The sort of things that every solo singer does all the time it's just that some singers are better than others.

[quote name='Bassman Sam' timestamp='1401145742' post='2460634']
Last night's Sky news, today's press. Duh.
[/quote]
I'm obviously missing something here but then i don't read today's (or any other days come to that) press and no way would i have Sky in the house.

Karaoke seems to attract all the weirdos... when I lived out in the country, nothing filled our local pub quicker than karaoke night.... People used to come from far afield especially. My favourite was watching a guy wailing his way through some Phill Collins classics, frequently dropping to his knees, tears rolling down his face with the shear emotion of it all... playing to about six people...

Back in the good ole days of 70/80's pub rock, many bands i knew and the one's i played in did a balanced mix of original and covers to catch audiences from both camps and it usually worked very well.
You had to pick covers that matched your own style to do it justice. As the bands became increasingly more popular they slowly dropped the covers until they were doing all original material.

AND THEN SPLIT UP :lol: :angry: :lol:

Dave

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1401198180' post='2461017']
Karaoke seems to attract all the weirdos... when I lived out in the country, nothing filled our local pub quicker than karaoke night.... People used to come from far afield especially. My favourite was watching a guy wailing his way through some Phill Collins classics, frequently dropping to his knees, tears rolling down his face with the shear emotion of it all... playing to about six people...
[/quote]
When i lived in the country it was long before karaoke was invented. The highlight was the annual wellie wanging competition followed by booting a pig's head from one village to another. Them were the days!

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1401200998' post='2461085']
When i lived in the country it was long before karaoke was invented. The highlight was the annual wellie wanging competition followed by booting a pig's head from one village to another. Them were the days!
[/quote]

I'd live there now if the country was still like that... nothing wrong with a good wellie wang...

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1401201249' post='2461096']
I'd live there now if the country was still like that... nothing wrong with a good wellie wang...
[/quote]
I'm returning to live in the country in the very near future. I wonder if the wellie wanging tradition continues?

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1401201399' post='2461099']I wonder if the wellie wanging tradition continues?[/quote]

You'll doubtless be pleased to know it's alive and 'kicking' ;)

[url="http://www.upperthong.org.uk/?page_id=1147"]http://www.upperthon...k/?page_id=1147[/url] - Sunday 29th June appears to be your day of choice - the 2014 Official Welly Wanging World Champs no less!

[quote name='BILL POSTERS' timestamp='1401150451' post='2460663']
Had to smile. Saw a guy picking a fight in a Kareoke bar once cos somebody had pinched his act singing My Way.
[/quote]

You shall be spared the asking of why you happened to be in a karaoke bar... :mellow:

[quote name='planer' timestamp='1401202053' post='2461119']
You'll doubtless be pleased to know it's alive and 'kicking' ;)

[url="http://www.upperthong.org.uk/?page_id=1147"]http://www.upperthon...k/?page_id=1147[/url] - Sunday 29th June appears to be your day of choice - the 2014 Official Welly Wanging World Champs no less!
[/quote]
That's brilliant. Thanks!!!!

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1401202864' post='2461133']
You shall be spared the asking of why you happened to be in a karaoke bar... :mellow:
[/quote]

On me hols with family, and my bro in law is one of said wierdos. Takes singing My Way and some Neil Diamond songs very seriusly.
I can happily play in front of large ish audiences, but no way could I do what he does in front of half a dozen drunk wannabees.

He sings in tune though, so he's a star in his local.

[/quote]

You actually went to another village? :o

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1401198180' post='2461017']
frequently dropping to his knees, tears rolling down his face with the shear emotion of it all
[/quote]

booting a pig's head
[/quote]

Please refrain from veering into off-topic, BetaFunk.
CamdenRob was talking about sheep.
;)

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1401209230' post='2461225']
You actually went to another village? :o
[/quote]

:lol: and so true. Me dad was almost killed coz locals thought he was from another village.

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1401212313' post='2461281']
Please refrain from veering into off-topic, BetaFunk.
CamdenRob was talking about sheep.
;)
[/quote]
Sorry BT but i always get pigs and sheep mixed up and that's why my sausage making was never a success. ;)