Why become a member? ×

DIY Pedal Boards

Weststarx

Hello Basschatters,

I need a pedal board, but looking at the pedal board market it seems its either cheap and nasty or £100 for what's basically a bit of plastic.

Has anyone made themselves one or used something that could be used as one as a cheap alternative?

I just need something to fix my pedals to so they don't move around all over the place.

It would be really interesting to see some photos as well!

Thanks

I actually made my own board last week from black 9mm ply. It's 12" squared because those are the internal dimensions of the Protec case that I want it to live in. For neatness, all cables run straight down from their socket, through a hole to the underside.
I added some 'skirts' to hide the cables underneath, and to allow a 'power socket' on the side.

Basically, it went like this:

1: Cut a square of ply, plus several strips at a 20mm width for the 'skirts'
2: Glue the skirts to the square, then round the edges and sand smooth.
3: Lay the pedals where they will sit, and mark for the cable holes
4: Drill holes, round edges and sand.
5: Drill a hole in the skirt for the power socket.
6: Prime and paint the board.
7: Screw rubber feet into the corners
8: Place some adhesive-backed velcro in the places where the pedals will sit. Reinforce by stapling onto the board.
9: Stick The pedals on, attach the cables and feed through the holes.
10: Attach the power socket to the skirt
11: Use cable ties and gaffa tape to make the underside as neat as possible.

Edited by Roland Rock

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1400439659' post='2453894']
I actually made my own board last week from black 9mm ply. It's 12" squared because those are the internal dimensions of the Protec case that I want it to live in. For neatness, all cables run straight down from their socket, through a hole to the underside.
I added some 'skirts' to hide the cables underneath, and to allow a 'power socket' on the side.

Basically, it went like this:

1: Cut a square of ply, plus several strips at a 20mm width for the 'skirts'
2: Glue the skirts to the square, then round the edges and sand smooth.
3: Lay the pedals where they will sit, and mark for the cable holes
4: Drill holes, round edges and sand.
5: Drill a hole in the skirt for the power socket.
6: Prime and paint the board.
7: Screw rubber feet into the corners
8: Place some adhesive-backed velcro in the places where the pedals will sit. Reinforce by stapling onto the board.
9: Stick The pedals on, attach the cables and feed through the holes.
10: Attach the power socket to the skirt
11: Use cable ties and gaffa tape to make the underside as neat as possible.

[/quote]

Can I ask, what case is that? As it looks pretty much the ideal size for my use.

[quote name='lefrash' timestamp='1400441930' post='2453936']

Can I ask, what case is that? As it looks pretty much the ideal size for my use.
[/quote]

It's the Excellent Protec PA-1212, but sadly I thing they don't make them any more.
There are a couple of alternatives out there, made for a small 12"squared mixer

It has evolved a bit since this pic. The Carl Martin combinator supplies all power to the pedals and gives true bypass. Any combination of 8 pedals can be used. With 18 combinations available at the push of a switch.
When in use all the pedals except the Combinator are covered. It has a lift off hinged lid for transport. Made from MDF and covered with speaker carpet.

[URL=http://s970.photobucket.com/user/gelfin5959/media/PBoard.jpg.html][IMG]http://i970.photobucket.com/albums/ae181/gelfin5959/PBoard.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

How big do you need to go? Unless you really want to DIY, you can get a used Pedaltrain Nano/Mini/Jr for around the £50 mark. No cheap plastic, these are made of welded aluminium alloy tubing and come with a decent carry case.