Why become a member? ×

GB Shuttle users please. Tone ??'s

KennysFord

Hi Folks,
Is this typical GB Shuttle tone ??
I realise the Ashdown cabs are in the mix but I wouldn't have expected the amp to sound as warm as this. Not sure why as I've never heard one before, just expectations I guess.
Thanks in advance.
B)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8jtxQawx60

Guest bassman7755

Sound exactly like what I would expect a relatively neutral sounding amp like a shuttle (& million other amps) with lots of treble roll off (or using flats) to sound like.

Edited by bassman7755

Thanks PrimeBASS, that's the kind of answer I was looking for.
They're up near me in august so hopefully I'll be able to go and see them then. Really tasty stuff eh jazzyvee.
B)

What you hear on that track is most likely just the Jazz bass straight into the desk. Whatever tone the bass players getting is at the whim of the sound engineer. It's unlikely to be the 'sound' of the amp he's using to monitor himself onstage.
But saying that, Ed Friedland is a big fan of Genz Benz and he can get a very warm sound from them.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1400616945' post='2455586']
What you hear on that track is most likely just the Jazz bass straight into the desk. Whatever tone the bass players getting is at the whim of the sound engineer. It's unlikely to be the 'sound' of the amp he's using to monitor himself onstage.
But saying that, Ed Friedland is a big fan of Genz Benz and he can get a very warm sound from them.
[/quote]

Yeah, he is a big fan. Had a discussion with him about buyingnthe streamliner and he advised me how to get a similiar sound from the shuttle. Boost the bass all the way clockwise, set mids at lowest( all way anti clockwise and boost about 3 o'clock. It was something like that can't find the message it was a while ago.

[quote name='kennyrodg' timestamp='1400524100' post='2454652']
Hi Folks,
Is this typical GB Shuttle tone ??
I realise the Ashdown cabs are in the mix but I wouldn't have expected the amp to sound as warm as this. Not sure why as I've never heard one before, just expectations I guess.
Thanks in advance.
B)
[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8jtxQawx60"]https://www.youtube....h?v=C8jtxQawx60[/url]
[/quote]

Hmmm, it's not a particularly peculiar sound. Of course the Shuttle amps can sound like that :) They have tone controls, you know? ;)

Ya don't say, tone controls on a Genz Benz head, well I never did :P
Seriously though, I've had a STR900 and that tone sounds to me more akin to the STR. I always presumed (wrongly as it turns out ) that the Shuttle was a very middy head. I didn't think it was peculiar in any way, I was just a little surprised is all.
Happy days.
B)

[quote name='kennyrodg' timestamp='1400931755' post='2458271']
Ya don't say, tone controls on a Genz Benz head, well I never did :P
Seriously though, I've had a STR900 and that tone sounds to me more akin to the STR. I always presumed (wrongly as it turns out ) that the Shuttle was a very middy head. I didn't think it was peculiar in any way, I was just a little surprised is all.
Happy days.
B)
[/quote]

Well, I think I understand your expectation and surprise, if you read the same reviews that I did!

I nearly went and bought a STR900 because I felt the Shuttle 9.2 might be too wimpy in the low end and too sharp, too middy. I started a thread a few months back asking about both. I also liked the look of the STR900 a lot, but then I am a sucker for blue lights :P

As it turns out, I got the Shuttle 9.2, and I love it. It's only middy if I dial the mids in to sound middy. It's got plenty of lows and it just sounds great to me. I'm sure I'd have liked the STR900 too, which is by all descriptions a warmer head, but both have enough tonal shaping options to cover a wide range.