Why become a member? ×

amp head/combo help please

Guest Jecklin

Guest Jecklin

I am looking for some advice on what amp head or possibly a combo to buy.
Realised I'm quite out of touch - the last amp I bought as a hartke 350 back in 1999.

My requirements are:
A clean, possibly warm sound. Don't need any grit or anything too Wi-Fi.
It has to be small and light.
Very quiet fans (actually no fans would be better as I'm playing with acoustic instruments and there are moments of silence critical to the music - this isn't generally going through a pa)

I thought I had it nailed with the idea of buying a philjones bass cub or the new 2four or whatever it is called
But I'm leaning towards something second hand to try and save a bit (I'm financing a tour so money is tight).

New heads I'd considered would be markbass blackline 250 or GK mb200.

Can anyone suggest any other possibilities I may not know of or she'd some light on some combos: I had my eye on an swr workingmans10 for example.

Thanks for any help.
Thomas

Edited by Jecklin

A Markbass Blackline Jeff Berlin combo would be good, £399, small, light, powerful, and although at quiet volumes Markbass seem clean, they translate nice and warm in the mix - or at least that`s been my experience - sitting in roughly the same area as Ampeg, in the mix rather than below.

Guest Jecklin

Good suggestions both, thank you.

I've used borrowed acoustic image stuff with my double bass a few years back and it was great, but new is above my budget by a fair whack.

I need to hear how loud the fans are in markbass stuff.
Are they on all the time or are they temp activated?

Cheers
Thomas

Guest Jecklin

That's very useful to know XGSJX, cheers.

The TC 208 has tempted me a fair bit.
Also intrigued by GK MB110.

Ah dilemmas and decisions.

I will have to try some out

Guest Jecklin

Thanks Lozz, I just had a look at andertons on line and their range is good.

I don't drive but train to Guildford is not too much of a mission.

My needs are relatively specific and funds are low so I do need to try everything out.
I'm still loving the eccentricities of the phil Jones stuff and the size is perfect, but I must hear what sort of sound it puts out in relation to 1 or 2 eight inch speakers.

My biggest worry is throw - I'll mostly be playing in odd settings and using acoustic volume. While I know the acoustic instruments carry I need an amp that does the same without being too loud up close.

Cheers all

GK MB500 would be perfect, with a small cab of your choice. I've not played the MB200 myself but if it fulfils your volume needs then I'm sure it would be ideal. Fan noise is very low on the MB series. Background noise (hiss) is also very low on most units. Although it is a known thing that some of the MB series amps come out of the factory with higher background noise (I have experienced this myself). But if you buy new that's an easy fix as you simply return it as faulty for a replacement unit.

[quote name='Jecklin' timestamp='1401097090' post='2459910']
Thanks Lozz, I just had a look at andertons on line and their range is good.

I don't drive but train to Guildford is not too much of a mission.

My needs are relatively specific and funds are low so I do need to try everything out.
I'm still loving the eccentricities of the phil Jones stuff and the size is perfect, but I must hear what sort of sound it puts out in relation to 1 or 2 eight inch speakers.

My biggest worry is throw - I'll mostly be playing in odd settings and using acoustic volume. While I know the acoustic instruments carry I need an amp that does the same without being too loud up close.

Cheers all
[/quote]

Pop along to the Herts Bash on 6th July and I'll bring along my PJ Briefcase and you can pick Lozz's brain at the same time...