Why become a member? ×

SD STK-J2 vs standard jazz bridge pickup A/B test

lefrash

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prDpRXI9xKw&feature=youtu.be"]https://www.youtube....eature=youtu.be[/url]

I recently upgraded my bridge pickup on my Fender Aerodyne Jazz bass, and decided that I'd put together a comparison video (since I really couldnt find any that were a true comparison). Thought this might be of interest to someone perhaps. Recorded 20 minutes apart, with nothing in the chain other than my zoom b9.1ut used as a giant red DI box (ie totally bypassed)

I must admit, although i do hear a slight difference in tone, its not massive, and the volume seems to be roughly the same too, so nothing really drastic. Apart from the single coil hum being gone.

Edited by lefrash

The SD seems to be clearer to me, as you say not massive difference. But, and this is why I did the same thing in my old Aerodyne, no hum. Hum-free. No more worries about bees or wasps. You get the idea I liked this pickup.

Funnily enough, after tonights rehearsal at full volume I found my tone to be much bassier (using my identical settings as I normally would) which is not what I was expecting. Very bizarre considering the dry DI signal had (to my ears anyway) only a very slight tonal difference. So much so I found it difficult to get my sound to sit right in the mix.