Why become a member? ×

Used 5 String recommendations £500-£700 budget

krispn

OK so I'm thinking of moving to a 5er! I've played a Fender P 5 (2012) for a little bit when I decided to make the move a few yrs ago but got cold feet and was switching between 4 and 5 and feel I should have just played the 5 exclusively. Anyways I've been kindly loaned a 5 in the past and got to grips with incorporating the B string into my playing style, reworked my bands current tunes playing the root notes off the B and not just focusing on the lowest notes and I really do like the added depth of using the B string plus its good to have a to rethink what I'm playing. It also feels like I have a better range/command of the fret board if that makes any sense to you 5 players out there.

Anyhow I'm looking at some 2nd hand 5er's, including the Lakland 55-01 and an Ibanez 1205 which are available locally. I've played them both and like what they have to offer. To my ears the 35" lakland carried a bit more weight to the notes, even the open E sounded 'deeper' which I attribute to either the scale length or my own madness. The Ibanez was light and comfortable and I enjoyed the N'strand pick ups.

What do ppl reccommed I check out in around the £500-£700 price range? Any bargains I should be aware of?

I whole heartedly welocme PM's if you have somehting for sale but I'll probably try and trade an amp for your bass in the first instance until one of my amps gets sold :)

*The writer reserves the right to go out and buy another 4 string at any time as gas can be a fickle old thing*

Ibanez BTB have 35" scale and tend to be rather good, even the basic ones which often crop up for a song. I've seen both new and used crop up in your budget range.
I have a 4 string 600 series with ash body (still 35" scale). Quite remarkable, really!

Been looking into 5's at this price range (and lower) a bit lately.

If you want to go for a 35" scale there's all these (one or two have been mentioned already):

Peavey Grind
Yamaha TRB1005
Ibanez BTB
Overwater Tanglewoods
Lakland Skyline 55-01 (& 55-02)
Schecter Stiletto & Session
Spector Legends (Euros & Re-bops also, but they may be over the budget)
Dean Edge (some models - don't know very much about these)
Sandbergs -some models are 35", but most aren't

Some of those sit in your price range for used basses, some are below but good quality.

If you want something Fendery (34" scale) then the Squire VM Jazz and Precision look great, and there are probably MIMs about in the 500-700 bracket.

Happy shopping!

Lakland all the way, and I'd say that even if I wasn't selling one... Shameless plug...

Most comfortable 5 string neck I've found, and for your budget any of the Skyline models should be available on the used market. I think you may have just missed the spalted maple 55-01 that was here for £425 the other day...

Also, try to find a Cort Josh Paul/Elrick 5 if you can. Usually go for less than the Lakland Skylines, with similar hardware/pickups and made in the same Korean factory (although not assembled in the USA like Skylines).

Some fine suggestions there and as a Lakland player already I am drawn to them. I'll see what pops up over the coming months and see if I can give the Squiers a go too. I'd really prefer to try before I buy for this purchase as the 35" scale does appeal to me more - pickups etc can always be changed down the line.

Cheers

My recommendations would be based on trial are the Ibanez Prestige or Premium range and Yamaha TRB1005. If you like EMG's an ESP or LTD Surveyor and Schecter Stiletto. As an overall package I think that the Ibanez takes some beating as they are so comfortable to play. That means a lot.