Why become a member? ×

Walk On The Wild Side

Count Bassy

OK, so at last night's band practice we started playing around with Walk on the Wild Side.

I don't play Double Bass, and even if I did I could not play the double and electric at the same time!

Having listened to the original quite a bit today it seems that the electric bass is prominent in the chorus, and of course I can do the slide with the 10th in there as well. The Double Bass then seems to become more prominent in the verse (the electric seems to drop out completely in the early verses), and I could probably play this part with some practice (not even tried it seriously yet).

So, accepting that, with the best will in the world, it won't sound quite like the original, I was thinking of basically doing that - i.e. the slidey bit in the chorus, the double bass line in the verse.

What have others done for the bass line(s) in this song?

PS:- while looking into on line (Trying to find the versio with the extended sax solo at the end), came across the LOu Reed + Susan Vega version, which I really quite like in concept, if not some of the detail.

I've played the intro/chorus to this song by using a 'tap'n'slide' technique with both hands -
- start by tapping your right index finger on the 17th fret of the G string (C ), and your left index finger on the 3rd fret of the E string (G)
- simultaneously slide down to the 9th fret on the G string (E), and up to the 8th fret on the E string (C )
- then simultaneously slide up to the 14th fret on the G string (A), and down to the first fret on the 1st fret on the E string (F)

It's surprisingly effective

The verses I just tried played the line fingerstyle, getting as close as possible to the double bass part's feel.

Edited by Roland Rock

[quote name='rogerstodge' timestamp='1401113464' post='2460164']
This won't help you much but its a good watch
http://youtu.be/W2KbsWz950E
[/quote]

Herbie. "Sounds stupid.....dun it".....02:49
"That's what Jazzers do" 03:11
Priceless....
The man is a legend, and of course a terrific Musician.