Why become a member? ×

Music Written on Bass Guitar - Echo and the Bunnymen's Latest

HowieBass

According to The Guardian's short article on Echo and the Bunnymen's 11th album, 'Meteorites', the songs were conceived on a bass. Some samples here http://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/may/19/echo-and-the-bunnymen-meteorites-exclusive-album-stream?CMP=ema_630

I'd never really known McCulloch to dabble much with bass so this surprised me a little.

I listen to the songs there, and it all just sounds like typical late-Bunnymen fare. They seemed to turn in Travis or Coldplay after they reformed! Even though that was pre-Coldplay, you get the gist....just that style of music which totally turns me off!

I like the early stuff, but I think they're a long way from that now, especially as Les P has been gone a long time now. I always think that Will S is a great guitarist, but somewhat underused compared to their earlier sound.

Personally, I think they should have called it quits after 'Porcupine'. Yes, before 'Ocean Rain'.....sorry! :ph34r:[size=4] [/size]

Another song written on bass guitar: Odd Soul by band called MuteMath. Their guitarist left just before they started writing and recording the album, so all the riffs were written by the bass player, and he played the guitar parts too (uses a T40 as well!). I think it really shows in the way the songs and riffs are constructed that it's written by a bass player.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvrfoU3SS4U&list=PL2C19439F6C64A3EF