Why become a member? ×

NBD: Warwick Corvette Fretless

EliasMooseblaster

aka "Because blaming Jack is easier than accepting my own lack of self-discipline"

I went back to Denmark St to give the VM Squier Jazz another go. Turned out they also had a VM Fretless P as well, which was quite nice. But the second-hand Warwick still hadn't been sold, and when the nice chap offered to cut the price a bit, I had to admit it was a nicer instrument.
[attachment=163916:Warwick1.jpg]
(Shallow as ever, I had to admit the unlined board looked better as well!)
[attachment=163915:Warwick3.jpg]
[attachment=163914:Warwick2.jpg]

For the first time since I started naming my basses...I have no idea what to call her. Any suggestions?

[quote name='Lw.' timestamp='1401466073' post='2463939']
Nice looking bass - you don't see that many sunburst Warwicks about. How does it play?
[/quote]
It's a little hard for me to judge, as it's my first fretless. I decided to leave all my normal prejudices at the door when I went in, having decided I'm very much a 4-string-low-action-passive-rounds-neck-or-middle-pickup kind of chap when it comes to fretted basses. The action is a tad higher than I'd normally have it, and the flats feel rather different. The active sound isn't as off-putting as I feared it might be. Most importantly I like the tone; compared with the VM Squiers, it just had a much more expressive sound.

As I say, hard for me to judge, but I really do like the way it plays!