Why become a member? ×

Clarity and Punch

Stealth

OK so I have tried a bundle of gear and still haven't quite found it ...........you know it the sound we all have in our heads that other people get but we can't lol

I play rock of all varieties main bass is a Roscoe Century 5 with either a thunderbird or a P Bass for variety ;)

So far I have tried in no particular order

Terror Bass & 2 x SP12 massive punch no zing

Streamliner & NX 2 x12 a bit wallpaper but OK

RH750 & 2xRS210 not enough low end

GBE 750 & BF super twin yuk

Shuttle 6 and Epifani UL210 nice but not loud
enough

EBS TD650 2 Schroeder 1212 middle to demolish tower blocks bottom not so hot

Markbass LM 800 tube & BF super twin close but head expired terminally

SVT 7 & super twin irritating grey on grey controls

SVT 4 and GK 115 & 210 closest but to damn big and heavy

Ampeg mini SVT rig with upgraded cab 4ohm

400w close but flat out at rehearsal level

Ashdown ABM 300 mini 48 & 15 cabs so long
ago I can't remember why I sold I think I'd was 30kg cabs

So any ideas to get nice solid but not boomy bottom end to low. Bb punchy mids and a bit of top end bite. Ideally a I cab solution ? Or combo plus extension maybe

............,,..help...........,,,,

Edited by Stealth

Is there anybody in particular that you're trying to sound like - anybody who comes close to "that" tone you're after, give or take a few tweaks of the EQ? Personally, even though I can see you're experimenting with plenty of much higher-end amps, I've always been a fan of Laney cabs because they seem to have a certain brightness and clarity to them - running an Ashdown LB30 into one, I'm quite happy with my tone. But of course, what I hear as "clarity" and "punch" could always sound like "brittleness" and "fizz" to your own ears!

Are you sure the bass can do it, for a start.
It is no use having a P bass thunp in your head and expecting your ultra
modern bass to have that sound... etc etc .

I think you need to try and desribe what you are looking for.
Also... you seen to be describing the tone chacracter of the
rigs, but not the actual sound you are after.

Most amps and cabs should be able to get punchy and clear altho
there are going to be some that just ...don't or can't.
They should be the ones you eliminate quickly..

Looking at the list, and that Markbass and Ampeg seem to be getting fairly near, looks to me like lower-mids are what you`re after. Going on from this, I reckon "fridge-sound" seems to be the goal here. Difficult getting the 810 sound with smaller gear.

Having listened to a zillion you tube clips. What i after is kinda David Elefeson meets Mike Dirnt if that doesn't sound totally looney. Top end wise this is it http://youtu.be/luRZ7KVJu6Q

I've pretty much gone through the amount of gear as you have and eventually got to try a Berg AE112 at home.
I liked it so much I bought a pair pretty much straight away, luckily they were close to home as well. As funny as this sounds, paired with an Ampeg SVT 7pro the combo is the closest Ive heard to the SVT7pro and my sealed Laney NX810 which is epic btw. Not the same in the trouser flapping area of course but tone wise it's right there
They're not everyone's cup of tea but the Bergs are, for me, head and shoulders above anything else I've tried.
B)

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='Stealth' timestamp='1401699948' post='2465861']
............,,..help...........,,,,
[/quote]

IME Your suffering from the tone equivalent of this:

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/body-dysmorphia/Pages/Introduction.aspx

Simply put you will NEVER get "that sound" because you simply dont hear it the same when your playing the gear as you do when someone else is playing it.

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='Stealth' timestamp='1401723621' post='2466177']
Having listened to a zillion you tube clips. What i after is kinda David Elefeson meets Mike Dirnt if that doesn't sound totally looney. Top end wise this is it [media]http://youtu.be/luRZ7KVJu6Q[/media]
[/quote]

Bass sound utterly meh for me, forgot what a fantastic singer old phil is though.

That`s a nice sound, for me, Precision, but you need to be able to boost around the 1kHz and somewhere in the 2.5 to 4kHz range to get that top. It`s not really high like Markbass, hence probably getting the solid low end you wanted, but not able to get the highs. I`d look at adding a graphic equaliser.

Edited by Lozz196

[quote name='mrtcat' timestamp='1401746084' post='2466554']
Berg NV610 or NV412 and an amp with 12 band eq would be my advice but for the love of god go try before you buy or it could just be an exercise in making that list even longer.
[/quote]

Good call - the Ashdown JJ Burnell Signature amp should ba able to do that sound very easily.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1401877105' post='2467682']
Try the Orange Terror through a more traditional sounding cabinet, with a tweeter.

Two TC RS210's would sound great, IMO.

DIme the mids...
[/quote] not heard that one before, what does dime the mids mean

I mean as in push the mids to the max level....mainly as the Bass Terror is then at 'flat' for mids....as you can only cut on it.

You could always back off a little, and lower the bass as well.

The tweeter/playing style/strings will have a massive effect on the treble and 'grind'.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1401884040' post='2467797']
I mean as in push the mids to the max level....mainly as the Bass Terror is then at 'flat' for mids....as you can only cut on it.

You could always back off a little, and lower the bass as well.

The tweeter/playing style/strings will have a massive effect on the treble and 'grind'.
[/quote] linguistic confusion aside - that's a good point - it's very easy to set an amp "flat" and judge it on that - when of course depending on the design the thing might sound better after spending a good while setting it up.

Also I'm surprised that OP didn't try mixing up the amps and cabs a bit more.... Like... I'll be honest I'm not massively sure what you're after... surely some of the cabs were closer than others.... would it help if you divided your tone quest into two - amps and cabs?

That's how I'm thinking about my rig at the moment
I currently run a ACME B2 - a very clean flat cab... but punchy I would expect a little less low end and maybe a low mid bump in the tone.
The hellborg preamp I have going into it is very clean and clear and with a warmth you'd possibly like - but into the ACME it becomes a bit over clean and clinical (hence why it's up for sale). Say you ran that into something a little more coloured - A nice berg cab for example my guess is it would have more of the punch you're after.
Otherwise, if you take the cab as your starting point, I like my ACME, it's not the most sensitive thing but it sounds [i]good[/i]. Now if I took something a bit more valvey, or a naturally punchy amp and ran that into it, I imagine I would get the punch, and as much of the clarity as the amp produced.

so take one bit of your rig you like (or have liked) and start from there maybe?

(or get some kinda decent amp modelling soft wear/POD or similar and try lots of different things to see what you'll like - and go from there tonally - it wouldn't surprise me if it's some kinda SVT sound into a lightweight sealed cab (berg?) that might tick your boxes)

Come to the [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/237819-mini-bass-bash-in-west-sussex-sunday-31-august-2014"]West Sussex Mini Bass Bash[/url] on 31st August and politely ask to try as many rigs as you can throughout the day. If you want to try any of my kit, or any of your kit combined with any of my kit, PM me to arrange a Swindon micro-bass-bash(TM).