Why become a member? ×

what is +ve and what is -VE

lefrash

I'm rewiring my 2x10 into parallel so I get it running at 4ohms. I fully understand the wiring of the speakers, but this this has confused me and I cant seem to find the answer anywhere online. What terminal is what? I have just wired it with -ve closest to the socket, and +ve the far away one.

The issue I have is that I dont have my amp here, and only can try it via a gubbed guitar head so I dunno whether the low volume im getting is down to the amp, or the wiring. Its not really quiet and it seems to be sounding the way I'd expect it, but thought I'd run it past you experts before I reassemble the thing.

Earth (or -ve if you want to call it that, although I never would) is the one nearest the output of the socket (as the leg sits on the outside of the metal). what you are calling +ve is the one where the tip is, which is the one furthest away from the hole at the front (as the tip is the last bit of a jack plug).

So in your picture, earth (-ve) is on the left and output / hot / +ve is on the right

With a mono jack plug/socket, the tip of the plug usually carries the signal and the sleeve is usually 'ground'.

In +ve / -ve terminology (which as Woodinblack rightly says is not really an exact equivalent), the signal would usually be called +ve and ground would be -ve.

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1402262915' post='2471551']
Does it actually matter as long as both speakers are wired the same way (so that they're in phase with themselves)?
[/quote]

No, as long as one never changes speakers or couples with another rig, but convention should be followed unless there's a real reason. The future is hard to predict, and more so if one can't be certain of details such as this.