Why become a member? ×

overdrive/distortion help.

William James Easton

OK. Heres the score. I love distorted bass and gritty over driven bass. not too much like but a bit. I own boss ODB-3 and a MXR bass di with distortion.
What i am looking for is one to produce a gritty raw sound thats nice and beefy but not to messy, the other to produce a beefy 'rat' pedal sound.

i've been mucking about with them but after a my head hurts and i have to listen to nothing in a darkend room.

anyone go an idea for setting i should use?

cheers.

I found the trick seems to be mixing in dry bass end (with some rolled off top end) with a mid gained distortion mixed in parallel. The idea being that you can still get a really good beefy bass end and grit on top. If you can chose the crossover point carefully, it sounds natural too. The MXR isn't *quite* flexible enough to do that on it's own... maybe a customisation project is on it's way! I run the MXR and sansamp in parallel and mix the two outputs. I liken it a bit too how some bass players use a bass stack and then have a guitar amp in their gear too, in order to add a bit of edge and grit. I think Duff McKagan has done this, when recording amongst others.

i doubt you'll get the bass di to make that sound

the odb-3 however should give you something close. try having the balance at around 9'o'clock, gain about 10 'o' clock, bass flat and cutting the treble slightly.

one setting i like on the mxr is to have the drive at almost minimum, and then have the blend at ~9 o'clock, and then boost the bass very slightly.

give it a try...see if you like it.

mind you, if you want a beefy rat tone, you could get a rat and send it off to the people at pedalmods...it's what i'm going to do now i've got my rat back.

[quote name='dood' post='243884' date='Jul 20 2008, 04:30 PM']I found the trick seems to be mixing in dry bass end (with some rolled off top end) with a mid gained distortion mixed in parallel. The idea being that you can still get a really good beefy bass end and grit on top. If you can chose the crossover point carefully, it sounds natural too. The MXR isn't *quite* flexible enough to do that on it's own... maybe a customisation project is on it's way! I run the MXR and sansamp in parallel and mix the two outputs. I liken it a bit too how some bass players use a bass stack and then have a guitar amp in their gear too, in order to add a bit of edge and grit. I think Duff McKagan has done this, when recording amongst others.[/quote]

i lost you after mixing! :)

[quote name='BassManKev' post='243889' date='Jul 20 2008, 04:34 PM']i doubt you'll get the bass di to make that sound

the odb-3 however should give you something close. try having the balance at around 9'o'clock, gain about 10 'o' clock, bass flat and cutting the treble slightly.[/quote]

thats the ticket! nice gritty but not messy sound. with bit of bumph and not wish washy lost in the fuzz. i like. may keep.
cheers.