Why become a member? ×

Speaker replacement/upgrade

er7366

Afternoon all! First post so be gentle...
I've got a 2001 Trace Elliot 1210H combo (bought it new), it's the 300w head with GP12 and a 4x10 speaker cab. It has been making a right racket on the low notes for a week or so and tosay I dropped it off with a local amp tech. He rings me up a couple of mins ago to tell me that 3 speakers are blown (I'm guessing 2 have been dead for a bit and I've not noticed..). Anyway, the speakers in it a re 10" Celestions, 80w at 32ohms each, the closest I can find to these are an Eminence Legend, the difference being that they are 150w each.

So, the question is, if I buy a set and fit them am I going to ruin either my amp, or the speakers? Oh, and I would replace all 4 speakers, not just the buggered 3....

Thanks for the help guys :o)

Good evening, er7366, and...

[URL=http://www.smileyvault.com/][IMG]http://www.smileyvault.com/albums/userpics/14389/tekst_welkom~0.gif[/IMG][/URL]

... to the forum.

Assuming you're talking about the Legend B810 (the only one I saw that comes as 32 Ohms, 150 w...), I'm not an expert but they look fine to me. As long as mechanically they fit (same hole spacing, front/back mounted..?) you'll not be harming the amp at all. The speakers can handle more power than the originals, but the amp won't be giving any more than before, as the impedance is the same. I couldn't say if they're the ideal, optimum for your cab, but they'll probably sound a bit better than the duff speakers being replaced..!
Subject to completion, correction and/or contradiction from others; hope this helps.

I'm guessing the 4 speakers are currently wired all in parallel to give a combined impedance of 8ohm. If you are replacing the lot, you just need to find a set of suitable 8ohm units, which will open up your options considerably. You would then need to wire them series/parallel to give an 8ohm total load.

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1402426968' post='2473458']
I'm guessing the 4 speakers are currently wired all in parallel to give a combined impedance of 8ohm. If you are replacing the lot, you just need to find a set of suitable 8ohm units, which will open up your options considerably. You would then need to wire them series/parallel to give an 8ohm total load.

[/quote]

+1 to this, I know we usually think about only wiring in parallel but this option should definitely be considered.

Yeah, it weighs more than some......I looked at the specs a couple of years ago as I was after the original manual and the warning to not carry alone due to weighing over 50KG suprised me, I've been lugging it about on my own for years, chucking it in and out of car boots, up and down stairs, all kinds of stupid sh*t! And thanks foe the welcome guys :)

Well, I ordered the 100w 8ohm Celestion speakers last week, arrived yesterday. I rewired to series/parallel and fitted the new speakers. Holy ShitBalls! It sounds huge, this is why I love my TE, yes it's getting old and it don't half weigh a tonne, but goddam the tone, presence and volume are just incredible! I've also got a 15" 300w PA speaker that has bee sitting in the back of the outbuilding for a couple of years, as TEs started life as PAs I'm gonna hook it up and see how it sounds as an additional cab today :)