Why become a member? ×

Is it GAS, or just a natural progression

Damonjames

Hey all,

Just after a bit of advice really. I think I am getting better at reading the signs of GAS now, and my rig had been stable since mid feb (a personal record). However the only change made was to swap my mike dirnt signature (which had a jazz bridge pickup fitted) for a schector model t, so essentially the se bass, and this was only done as I just couldn't get on with the neck of the dirnt any more.
However I am just about to shuffle my gear about, and am wondering if this is just a normal thing due to circumstances or if is genuine GAS that like most addictions I am just too blind to see!!
I want to shift most of my effects as they are just not being used in my current band and swap it for 1 fuzz, and a tech 21 vt bass deluxe (the one with 6 different presets) as most of the sounds I need are svt related, and also sell my US SUB 5 for a warwick streamer or spector euro which will be more sound appropriate for what I am doing. It's not that I am fickle and just lost interest in my current gear and moving in to the next new shiny thing, I would keep it all if I could! I just think that the stuff I am looking at will suit my band better right now.
Or am I deluding myself??

I like to buy new stuff under the delusion that I need it.

My drummer laughs at me because most weeks I turn up to practice with something new.

When you talk about changing basses because of the neck etc I would put it down to natural progression. I did the same by selling my other basses and exclusively playing Precision Basses - it just feels right in my hands and was the sound I was always looking for.

I think you can put something down to GAS if you are buying something you don't need. For me I have two Mexican Precision Basses both I love and both get played, if I brought any other bass it would be because of GAS alone because I dont need anything else nor would I use anything else other than my Precisions.

The road to complete satisfaction with your gear is impossible, you'll always want to experiment and change things its a never ending expensive cycle.

The real delusion is buying stuff thinking it will make you a better player!