Why become a member? ×

Starting a blues trio

JamesBass

So after leaving my previous band, I have as of this evening started a brand new blues trio! We are still finding out feet and working out what to play and whatnot but going off our jam tonight there's plenty of positives and LOTS to get excited for! Finally have found myself an absolutely peach of a drummer who's timing and groove is brilliant! The guitarist is awesome as well, so comfortable switching between more lead based roles and rhythm roles.

This is something I'm EXTREMELY excited for now!

Cool! I recently found myself in a 'southern rock' trio after being approached by a guitarist looking for a Bass Player / Singer. I didn't realise they meant one person to do both... after a few months of rehearsals we have our 1st gig next week and I am v. excited. 20 years as a frustrated singer and my 1st gig is around the corner.

My advise would be make a few recordings of your 'jams' and find how your sound is working with each other. A trio can be hard to get right, there is nowhere to hide!

Cheers everyone! Now comes the horrible naming part aha! The first jams have gone very well, some great ideas have been worked on, hopefully our next session will see us recording down some demos to hand out to get initial pub gigs and to work on our sound as Spoon has suggested!

Spoon I personally love not being able to hide at all! It's more fun that way and makes me actually raise my game! Last nights jam sounded seriously tight!

I played for ages in bigger bands, and was quite content to be aa the back,

Last few years, I stick to the trio format.....and you can't keep me from the front. I do all the leaping about!

You'll love it. Make sure you give the Ricky some stick as well....my lot always hate it when I don't bring it, and we're all R'n'B and blues.

Edited by spongebob

[quote name='AntLockyer' timestamp='1402590655' post='2475121']
I must admit being told that we were adding a rhythm guitar for a festival we are doing made me sad.
[/quote]

Fully agree. Been there with the guitar wall of sound. Most bands I've played in that had a RG didn't understand how to use one. Simply played the same things together, and just ended up with a louder version of the same song.

I always wanted a trio....more space, more money, less schedule problems......and you can actually hear the bass!

[quote name='Jazzneck' timestamp='1402592883' post='2475148']
Great Stuff, James - go for it and enjoy yourselves.

A word from an old'n - keep it simple and leave space, loads of space and plenty of dynamics but most importantly have fun......
[/quote]
Fortunately the drummer has INCREDIBLE dynamic control! Best I've EVER worked with, some of the stuff coming out of last nights jam was incredible! The way we were just bringing it down and up was awesome! Also plenty of space for everything to fit in. It was one of those times were it all worked well!

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1402590390' post='2475115']
I played for ages in bigger bands, and was quite content to be aa the back,

Last few years, I stick to the trio format.....and you can't keep me from the front. I do all the leaping about!

You'll love it. Make sure you give the Ricky some stick as well....my lot always hate it when I don't bring it, and we're all R'n'B and blues.
[/quote]
Once I've set it up and put some flats on it, it'll be with me all the time I'd imagine!

• 1 month later...

[quote name='AntLockyer' timestamp='1402590655' post='2475121']
I must admit being told that we were adding a rhythm guitar for a festival we are doing made me sad.
[/quote]

We finally rehearsed for the gig as a 4 piece last night (the gig is on Saturday). The rhythm guitarist had a hard job finding anywhere to play and on one song in particular just had to stop as there was no space. He was upset by it, I even switched from my 16th note bassline to just playing root 5ths to try and help him out but that didn't provide much more room and killed the forward momentum.